Thursday, January 19, 2012

In the Dark

I'm one of these people who get up in the morning and pad around in the dark. I don't turn on the lights. I know where everything is, so I just pad down the dark hall and into the dim kitchen (there is light there, from a lot of small sources). I make my coffee in the dark, and a bagel, if I am having one, pad into the library to sit at the computer for a few minutes, while I drink my first cup of coffee. Then I get up, pad back to the kitchen, pour my second coffee, and head down the dark hallway to the bathroom. I set down my cup on the stand at the side of the sink, and then I shower in the old clawfoot bathtub. Once I'm out, and towelled off, the lights come on. I can't deny it then. The day officially begins.

This morning was like the rest of them.

Except this morning I did toast a bagel. I grabbed the packet of cream cheese thinking "Tim must be eating bagels too," because the cream cheese was opened. I had just bought a new package thinking we were out at the same time I picked up the bagels.

Except that he hadn't. I figured it out when I took a bite of my bagel at the computer. I padded back out to the kitchen, opened the refrigerator and threw the opened packet of cream cheese away, noting the new unopened packet of cream cheese on the top rack with the butter.

I could have toasted another bagel, I suppose, but the nasty taste of mold in my mouth had caused me to lose my appetite.

5 comments:

Zavida Coffee said...

Coffee in the dark is fantastic, whether in the morning or late at night (midnight coffee is a favorite)

WhiteStone said...

Aaargh! I hate the taste of mold and can taste it when others cannot.

As for the dark house? I have night lights everywhere! Except in the bedroom where I like it dark.

Nancy's Point said...

So THIS is why you call your blog "Life's Funny Like That!" What a great story. My hubby always gets up first and makes coffee. Then we sit in the dark in the living room sipping it and wait for the arrival of daylight while looking out our big picture window. Best part of the day! Well, once I'm up!

BUSH BABE said...

Dear lord.. this could NEVER happen to me! If its dark and morning I am asleep. If I MUST be up (like this week) then all lights need to be blazing... or I am sliding back to the Land of Nod quick smart!

Feeling a little sympathy gag coming on...
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

Dear lord.. this could NEVER happen to me! If its dark and morning I am asleep. If I MUST be up (like this week) then all lights need to be blazing... or I am sliding back to the Land of Nod quick smart!

Feeling a little sympathy gag coming on...
:-)
BB