Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Short.

This is a short one. Tomorrow is my 'crunch' day. I have one intervention, I've got a major presentation, I've got two big projects due (both of which are done). I'm so busy but...

Today at work, an Amish man walks in. He buys some hardware cloth, and some pulleys, and he says, "I'll take a couple boxes of those dark chocolate mints there." Being the wisenheimer I am, I said, as I was grabbing them from the basket, "I've learned never to get between anyone and their chocolate. A person could get hurt that way." He laughed a big laugh.

Now that's unusual. They smile. They are friendly. Still, most of them keep to themselves somehow. In this world, but not of it. That's how the Bible puts it, and I guess this applies to them, as well. Still, this fellow laughed big. The lady behind him said, "I just bought my husband a big candy bar. I'm hoping he'll share." I said, "Well, if I have to share my chocolate, you can bet bucks that I'd have bought the biggest candybar in the store." The three of us laughed together.

Mr. Byler says, "Well, now, I have a joke for you: There's a fellow goes into a train station, to buy a ticket, and when he comes out, he realizes that the lady at the ticket counter has given him the incorrect change. He goes back in, and says, 'You made a mistake when you gave me my change...' to which she replies, 'Well, it's too late now. You should have brought that to my attention when you were at the window.' The man says, 'but...' and she snaps, "I can't fix it now. There's nothing I can do about it now. You need to count your money at the window." He says,
'You can't do anything about this?' She's plenty mad by now, and nearly yells, 'NO!!' to which he replies, 'Well, then fine. I'll just keep the extra five bucks then.'

He laughed at his own joke, and I laughed too, just because he was so pleased with himself. I said, "Well, I can see now that I'd better count your change twice." He laughed once more as he put his money away. He went out the door in his somber black and blue clothes, and he chuckled to himself.

I like that, when a person surprises you.

7 comments:

Pencil Writer said...

Humor! I thank God for granting us humor!

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

Jah, my Grandma would say, people have hidden faces we may never see.

You had an engaging interchange with great neighbors and those are life's most precious moments. Savor and delight in the sharing..

Bill of Wasilla said...

I just wish it had been $20.

rhubarbwhine said...

Small moments shared - I bet he remembers this moment as fondly as you x

Kelly said...

Shared laughter is a blessing. :)

nancyspoint said...

What great stories! The first one just goes to show that chocolate can indeed work magic and the second one, well, that one has a real surprise ending doesn't it? Thanks for taking time to share them. Good luck with your projects.

Buddha46203 said...

Best "Amish story" I have is from when I was working at the tobacco shop. A boy walks in with his father, and of course I ask to see the boy's ID. He proudly puts it on the counter, and I see that he just turned 18 about a week ago. He starts talking about how excited he was to finally be able to come to the tobacco shop with his father, and how his father was going to buy him a pipe of his own for his birthday present. He was so happy and excited, it was infectious. They bought their cavendish, he bought his pipe, and then they left. It was so nice!