Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Playroom

On the third floor, we are putting together a little playroom. It has a bed for dolls, and childrens books, a place to curl up to watch Disney movies, an old white desk. Art supplies. Stuffed animals.

My grandson William is not old enough for this room, but one day he will be. My grand-nieces have played up there and enjoyed themselves. Abby is a shy little girl with big eyes. She whispered to her mother in an urgent sort of way. She couldn't find the 'bunny room'. Where did it go? Sarah laughed. "What's the bunny room?" I asked, puzzled. It was the playroom. There were two stuffed bunnies that she had put down for a nap in the antique baby crib. It's a big house for a little girl, and she was unable to find her way back to the playroom.

I have bigger plans yet for this room, and in quiet moments I spin great and unrealistic plans. This room becomes like the Disneyland of playrooms. I have dreams of glow in the dark stars, and I want to make a little kitchen set. Not the molded plastic ones, but an actual wooden stove and refrigerator and sink like we used to play with when I was in kindergarten. I want sleeping mats for children to take their afternoon naps on. My list goes on and on. I want this room to be the stuff of dreams.

Yesterday, I headed out to buy curtains for the guest room. I'm a thrifty person, and so I stopped at the thrift store to have a quick look around, although I did not expect to find anything. That particular room has three windows, and you don't generally see that many of the same curtain. I was right.

I wandered over to the children's section, and...be still my heart...I found two large net bags filled with the balls that you find in a ball pit. I found a hanging mosquito net that could be used to contain two net bags worth of those sorts of balls. I found a large carrying case of those snap together pieces that go on the floor, the big padded foam tiles. They had numbers on them, and I envisioned hopscotch. My shopping cart runnethed over. Total expenditure? $8.00.

I was so excited that it was all I could do NOT to run home with my finds and work on the playroom. After all, there were other things that needed done...three sets of curtains for the guestroom, and a shower curtain and bathroom rug for the upstairs bathroom.

I was responsible. I did what I needed to do. And then I came home and did responsible things. Today, I have some more responsible things to take care of, but also, I'm going to play for a while in the playroom. I need to borrow a kid for a few hours.

9 comments:

Linda G. said...

The playroom, as it is, and how you envision it sounds like a happy place to wile away the hours .. be you a young child or an adult!

Scotty said...

Borrow a kid? Nah, I'd just unleash the inner child in me again, Debby.

:-)

Good bargains you snapped up too.

Kelly said...

The playroom sounds wonderful!! I smiled when I read the part about the glow-in-the-dark stars. Every bedroom in my house (including mine) has stars on the ceiling. I would miss them if they weren't there.

Bill of Wasilla said...

We could use a playroom, too. On the other hand, when our grandboys show up, the whole house turns into a playground. Yard, too - in suitable weather.

Anonymous said...

Scotty - sometimes the my inner child likes to have a friend over. :)

Scotty said...

Oh, alright then but no staying up too late, ya hear?

:-)

Kelly Cruickshank said...

I love play room. with good curtains.
Blackout blinds

Anonymous said...

You're not the boss of me Scotty. And who invited the creepy person w/ the blackout blinds?

*shiver*

kristi said...

You have some nephews here that you can borrow at anytime!