Saturday, December 3, 2011

Husbands

Tim has been sick with a stomach bug. He even missed two days of work because of it. He's back to work now, even though the symptoms have not gone away, not completely anyway. His stomach is making the most alarming noise. I have to tell you that I am sitting in one room. He is in another, watching television. I tell you true. His stomach is making such loud liquidy sorts of noises that I can hear them a room away. No exaggeration.

I have to tell you that I have responded sympathetically. Well, if 'sympathetic' sounds like this: "Stay away from me. I am serious Tim. I cannot get sick now. I have not got time to get sick." It's the truth. This is the last full week of school and I have so much stuff going on that I cannot possibly schedule the flu in until Wednesday evening.

And I hope that God believes me when I tell Him this.

Today at Tractor Supply, I felt so badly that I burst into tears. I saw a friend in the store with her sister. I'd not seen her in forever it seemed like. So being the wisenheimer like I am, I said, "Gees, since you've gotten married, I don't see hide nor hair of you..." She was a newlywed, having just got married last summer, just a few short months ago. She smiled weakly at me and said, "My husband died two weeks ago." I was so flabbergasted that I did not know what to say aside from the obligatory "Oh my GOD!!!"

She is such a shy person, and her new husband was even shyer than she was. The last time that they came to the store, I'd greeted them, and it tickled me that he talked. Usually he stood there shy and awkward and ducking his head and smiling. But that day he spoke, and the three of us visited at the register a moment. I had watched them leave and I was glad for them. If there ever were two people that were made for each other, it was them.

Today, I stood there at a complete loss of words and I reached across to give her a hug, and told her how very, very sorry I was. She cried. "We didn't even have six months..." I cried because it seemed like the only thing to do. Life is so hugely unfair sometimes.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh, geez. What a tragic thing! You handled it well by just showing your love and concern.

As for Tim.... hope he's 100% soon and I don't blame you at all for wanting him to keep his distance!!

Lynda Halliger-Otvos said...

So sad and yet no surprise these days: since I turned 51 a few years ago my friends and siblings have begun to die with alarming regularity. On a national level Molly Ivins' breast cancer death at 61 added a sense of loss acutely felt.

Linda G. said...

I am so very sorry about the death of your friend's husband. How sad to have shared only 6 months together.

I hope that Tim gets completely over the stomach bug soon and that the flu passes you by without so much as a backward glance!

Hal Johnson said...

Dear God, to lose a spouse after six months. It's hard to take away any wisdom from that; it just doesn't seem fair.

On a lighter note, I can't help but notice that you and my bride have a remarkably similar way of expressing sympathy . . .

jeanie said...

Oh dear - poor Tim and poor friend who lost her husband. I think you handled both admirably.

Bob said...

And you know I just believe that hug was just what she needed.

Anonymous said...

So sad. I teared up too just reading that. What else could anyone say?

Hope Tim is OK now and you stay OK!

Barbx