Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Project

Today I went to the nursing home where I will be working for the next five weeks. I really like the activities director there. I have to assess a need, and design a program for it. That's easy enough. I knew what the need was going to be before I even walked in the door. The need is that the staff is too busy to do a lot of interacting one on one. The need is that patients need that one on one interaction. The director was quite excited to hear that. I'd hit it dead on in her opinion. We talked quite a bit during my orientation, and we found that we had a lot in common.


Walking the halls, I ran into a lady from church, and then the mother of one of Cara's friends, and then one of the girls from Dylan's class. There were people that recognized me from the paper. People I used to work with at other places. Even a woman I work with now. Lots of customers from the store. It was kind of cool, like old home week.



What sort of activity would I like to do for my project? December seventh is the anniversary of Pearl Harbor. I know a Pearl Harbor veteran. Larry sure likes to talk. I know the veterans are quite proud of their service, and enjoy talking about their service. Wouldn't it be cool to set up a 'canteen' with period music, and we could run documentaries on Pearl Harbor. The old soldiers could sit and talk about their service time, and drink coffee or tea or whatever. I think it would be great fun, very interesting. I'll bet that I could get a couple of actresses from the local theater group to be 'waitresses' for a couple hours. I'll bet some of the local veterans would love to come in and listen to the old guys and swap yarns of their own. The activities director thought it was an excellent plan. I wonder if I can pull it off?

17 comments:

FruitCake said...

I hope you can pull it off - sounds wonderful!

Vest said...

I have a Wife of 57 years with similar qualities that you have, would'nt swap her for Quids (anything).

I guess Larry must be pushing 90 at least.

I joined Brit Navy Jan 7-1942. Was on third warship to enter Tokyo Aug 1945.

Anonymous said...

of course you can do it, I think you can do whatever you make up your mind to do. I have gathered this from your blog and I only know you from the blog, as I live in Florida.

KarenTX said...

In a word..........? Yes. :o) I think it's a fantastic idea and I bet you'll be surprised at the people who want to participate!

A Novel Woman said...

Oh, you are just wonderful. I hope they know how lucky they are to have you.

My father-in-law (in his 80s, was in the navy) volunteers with the veteran's hospital. However, he says many of the vets, while proud of their contribution, aren't always comfortable talking about the war. I guess you'd have to feel them out first, but I sure hope they agree to do it. I know that I would love to sit and listen to their stories.

BUSH BABE said...

Outstanding idea!! Brings a tear to my eye imagining it... build it and they will come!
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

Vest~ Larry is indeed 90 (plus). He is one of my favorite characters. Lives in a little house with his little wife, and will talk a leg off you. I love to listen to them both. I'd enjoy sitting and listening to you, as well. I do love a good story. Want to join me on December 7th?

Karen said...

Sounds like a wonderful idea. Let us know how it turns out!

Kelly said...

You know, Debby....you are definitely doing what you were meant to do in life. This sounds wonderful!

Margie from New York said...

Sounds like a great idea! I'm sure you could pull it off. I bet if you googled 1940 era parties there would be lots of ideas.

Pencil Writer said...

I'll bet that if anyone can pull it off you can, Debby! Sounds like fun.

Roland said...

that sounds great! I'd love to be there for that event.

quid said...

I love this idea! I'm going to pass it on to our management team...we have a PACE program here; day care for the elderly. We are currently still searching for our OT. :)

quid

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I'm sure you can! It sounds like a great idea!

PaintedPromise said...

awesome idea Deb! wheni first started reading this post i thought, too bad i am not close, we could to a donkey visit... (i take my minis to do "therapy visits" at the nursing homes around here)

Coralee said...

We've not met but I see you at TC and I read your blog. I love your project idea and I'd like to share this post with you. I'm not very tech savvy; I'm hoping copy & paste will work because I don't know how to create a hyperlink without help.

http://www.incourage.me/2011/11/treasured-words-told-from-a-soldiers-lips.html

I hope you will keep your readers posted on the project's success. Some vets may not talk but I bet there will be many glad to share and have someone listen. My Uncle didn't talk much but when he did, he could go on for hours.

Thanks for being you!

Anonymous said...

Well, I wish you'd introduce yourself Coralee. I'll look at that website, and see what it's all about.