Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A post about nuthin'

I got nothin'. Really. Last night was Halloween. Little William was a lion. Cute as a button. Did I get pictures. No. I was scrubbing the bathroom floor at the new house and putting down an acrylic finish. I didn't think to bring a camera. I'd come straight from school.

Justin clattered in, in his gawky big footed teenage boy way. I get a kick out of him. He chattered on, and I listened, glad to have a kid around the house, again, even if he is just borrowed. He's got it all planned. We need a giant plasma TV, and we 'need to put it right here'. He stands in the livingroom making giant plasma TV motions with his hands.

We had a few trick or treaters, not many. The house has been vacant for so long, I don't think that anyone expected someone to be there. Still it was fun. Trick or treating is not permitted out in the woods. I'll like that part of living in the city.

Latest amazing house discovery? The carriage house is made of chestnut. The sheeting boards are a foot wide. Why is this remarkable? Chestnut, once common here, was wiped out, made completely extinct by a blight in the early 1900s. Chestnut trees do continue grow up from the root system of old trees, but they die young, victims of the same blight. To have a building made completely of chestnut, is quite a find. Foot-wide boards means that they were taken from old trees. There is no such thing as old chestnut trees in this day and age. Tim carefully saved the old wooden stairs. Those pieces of chestnut are rare and precious. In the hands of a craftsman, they could become something beautiful.

7 comments:

Jayne said...

Halloween is growing in popularity here in Oz but I didn't have the energy to di it this year, love looking at the costumes and decorations :)

quid said...

What a great story of the demise of "chestnut" and a great find in the house!

Kelly said...

Trick or treating isn't allowed in the country? Hmmm...we don't get any at our house, but that's just because we're off the beaten path. I always have something I can throw in a goodie sack on that remote chance, but I can't remember anyone coming to our house in 15 or 20 years.

A Novel Woman said...

Amazing (the chestnut boards, not Hallowe'en. I am so DONE with Hallowe'en for now.)

WhiteStone said...

I'd forgotten the history of the chestnut tree. What a treasure! Little William was probably the greatest lion in town!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, our township made an ordinance years ago that banned trick or treating. Its been that way since I've lived here. They used to have a party for the kids at the firehall, but now that mine are grown and gone, I've lost track of these things.

Trick or treating is not banned everywhere...just in this township.

PaintedPromise said...

awesome about the chestnut wood... so glad that Tim is the type of person to honor that and not just trash the stuff!!!