Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Move.

Last night, we 'officially' made the decision. We live in the other house now.

We don't have the phone hooked up yet, but we have the cell phone. I made lots of lists, lists of things we absolutely had to have at the new house. Like pillows and blankets. Yep. We had those. And soap. Shampoo. Conditioner. Towels. You know. The basic necessities of life. Blow dryer. Clothes. The like.

Stopped to buy toothbrush and toothpaste on the way home from family party yesterday. Made up the bed in a guest room when we got there, because our own bed is at home.

I had a 7 AM meeting at the store. Guess what? The alarm clocks were at home. By our bed.

Luckily, I have leapt into the previous century. "Tim, we can use our cell phone!" That little endeavor took 15 minutes to figure out, and I did not sleep well, waking up repeatedly to see what time it was because I had no confidence in my abilities to set the alarm on my cell phone.

This morning, the alarm went off on my phone, a sweet little sound, not harsh and annoying like my regular alarm. Despite the gentle start to the day, I ran out of hot water in the shower while I still had shampoo in my hair. I discovered that I had no caffeine, the coffee pot still at home. I had my blow dryer but no hairbrush. No make-up either. I made the meeting. (Looking like death warmed over.) The french toast the manager made contained no caffeine, but God bless Ike, he had the coffee pot going. (Note to self: bring bigger cup to work.)

Someone asked, "Are you all moved in?" surprised.

No. We're not. However, the balance is tilting. We've got more of our stuff there than we do here, and so the scale has tipped. We live there now. Kellie said, "75-25?" Me, thinking, "Nah. 60-40." That probably isn't even right. More like 51-49, probably. But we're getting there.

And it IS very exciting.

Today the kitchen appliances, the washer and dryer, our bedroom, a couple toolbenches and a wheeled tool chest will be moved. Maybe some other stuff. We'll see what time allows. We're getting there.

The final papers for this house have not been signed yet, but the good news is, we will not be moving in the dead of winter, which was Tim's worst fear. We'll still have sixty days after the papers are signed to continue moving our stuff out, one load at a time.

10 comments:

Mikey said...

oooo, I hadn't even thought about moving in the dead of winter. Now that would suck...
It's so hard to move. I used to love it, until I got all this STUFF. You're doing better than I did. I got a week into moving to Benson and had a breakdown. There are still boxes by my front door, sigh. Moving is a daunting task now, not like when I was 20 and could move all my stuff in one truck load :)
You moved around a lot when you were younger too, if I recall correctly.
Can't wait to see pics once you've got your house put together. I fully expect to see a magnificent Christmas tree :)

Kelly said...

It will take time to be fully moved, but it's happening!!

I always use my phone when I need an alarm now.

Anonymous said...

What Mikey said. We moved a couple of years - well a few - ago after over 40 years in the one house! OMG - am still sorting and getting over it. One of the problems was that we didn't have our final destination to move into - and that is another story! I don't know that it helped to have a halfway house while we built a new one!

Good luck Deb - enjoy your home. Look forward to photos. Barbx

Brianna said...

OMG, cannot believe you forgot your cappuccino machine! Good thing Ike was on the ball, LOL! Can't wait to have a minute to stop in and visit! If not, we'll see you guys at Thanksgiving. Love ya!

KarenTX said...

Don't forget the coffee machine! And the coffee! and if you get those over to the new house, you'll be 60-40!!

Jayne said...

Wheeeeeee!
Thank goodness you've got plenty of time to shift your gear and not in the middle of the chilly season :)
Oooo, your first Christmas in your new home :)

BUSH BABE said...

I feel a virtual housewarming party coming on...
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

That's funny, BB. I was thinking of having a housewarming, with pictures, and people, and you all could see and comment and clink virtual glasses of your favorite alcohol. It will happen. Right now, it's a bit of chaos, but in a couple weeks, we should be ready to start doing photos. ` debby

Pencil Writer said...

Whoo Hooo! I'm so happy for you and Tim to be at least 51% moved at the point you posted this. Moving is exciting. And I have to agree with Tim (the surprise statement...people should move every ten years!) If we were disciplined enough to scrupulously clean and dejunk EVERYTHING at home AS IF were we moving, we'd be ahead of the game . . . w/o having to ACTUALLY pack up and move all the heavy stuff. I'm very happy for you both...and absolutely because you did it before the "dead of winter" hit. Good job!

PaintedPromise said...

wow moving in winter, what a concept... i have moved seven times since i left my parents' house, and all but 2 have been in the summer... in Arizona... yeah...