Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Discoveries

After my 3:30 wake-up this morning, I snuggled back under the blankets and slept in. It felt good.

I was really dreading my morning. I was doing my first assessment on a client, and I am not a confident person. This was a class project, a two part 'practical' that will be our final exam. So it's a big deal, and I wanted to do well. I researched a lot. I tried to anticipate anything that could go wrong. I felt uncomfortable 'playing OT' with a patient but came up with the idea of using Bill's picture book "Gift of the Whales" as part of the therapy. It worked perfectly. It gave me a chance to watch him flip through the pages and assess his fine motor skills and hand pronation and supination. Talking with him about the book and the pictures was a chance to break the ice as well as assess his cognition and memory, his speech and his attention. This man belongs to the Seneca Nation and was interested to see a tribe he knew little about. I flew through the assessments. I finished up so early that it was a little embarrassing, as if I'd not been thorough. But I had. I'd done all the work, filled in all my little boxes, and because of the book, knew what sort of things interested my client, and was able to almost immediately come up with an activity that would work for him. I'd come with my own little box of supplies for sensory testing, and I had studied the tests long enough to know exactly what I was doing. All of that uncertainty? I don't know where it went, but it is gone. Today, everything clicked, and I knew that I was good. I watched my client clutch that book to his chest and shuffle out, and I felt like a success.

Wow. Who knew?

I also made another amazing discovery: Liquid Bandage. It's good stuff to have on hand if you own a piece of crap can opener. It's like super gluing yourself back together.

It snowed today. Tim's sick today. I'm set up for my nursing home visit tomorrow. I'll study tomorrow afternoon, and then I'll go to work. I have a presentation on Friday. I stood before the dry erase board today, and I began to mentally check off the things that I've got finished and turned in. I realized that out of all the things listed, I've got over half of them done and turned in. The rest are at least half finished, save one project, which I've not begun yet, but it is just a small assignment.

That was an amazing discovery as well. It's been so long since I looked any farther than the next project. Today, I got a clear view to the finish line, and it is a lot closer than I thought.

8 comments:

Mikey said...

Yay! I'm so glad it went so well. Great idea using the book.
I'll have to get some Liquid Bandage. That would go over well. Wonder if I can use it on horses, dogs and cows too? Hmmm

Bob said...

And we'll be cheering you on as you cross that finish line!

Jayne said...

Great to hear how well it went, of course you flew through it, you know your onions and aren't a goose ;)
Well done :)

Hal Johnson said...

Good for you! Somehow, though, I'm less surprised than you were.

Liquid Bandage: does that stuff still sting like heck?

Kelly said...

I'm so proud of you!

Bill of Wasilla said...

Wow! I am amazed - and glad I was able to help out, even if I had no idea.

jeanie said...

Woo hoo!!! That is the BEST thing about study - there is a finish line.

BUSH BABE said...

Who knew? Who knew how good you would be at this... I think WE ALL KNEW! (And I'd say your family knew too).

Yay for you. CONFIDENCE is a fabulous thing - although I always adored Mike Myers version: Mojo. Deb discovers her mojo. Awesome...
:-)
BB