Monday, October 24, 2011

Yesterday, riding along to church, I was mesmerized by the sight of a naked tree against the sky, and suddenly it occurred to me: where did fall go? Summer, for that matter? I'm so busy!!The holiday season will be begin NEXT MONTH!!!! We're between two houses. Tim can't move furniture because of the sciatica issue. (At this point, it's pretty bad, and he is receiving physical therapy, which seems to be making matters worse, not better). I began to panic a little. How is this going to work out? How is this possibly going to work?!!!!!!!!

I said, "Tim, really, we need to hire professional movers. There is just no way to get this all done. Thanksgiving is coming, and it's chaos, just chaos, and what if it's Thanksgiving and I(gasp of horror) DON'T KNOW WHERE MY TURKEY ROASTER IS?"

*wild-eyed look*

Of course he looked at me like I'd sprouted an extra head. "We don't need to worry about that right now," he tells me.

Our livingroom outfit is in the new house. The dining room set is here. The stove is here. Most of the dishes are there. I've taken all my office books there. My desk is here. You get the picture, right?

*shriek*

It's kind of like school though. I worry about every assignment. I worry about every test. I feel stupid, and I worry. Sometimes, I am actually sick with fear. But when it comes down to it, well...I do okay. Usually, I do better than okay.

A woman is dealing with cancer, and the husband said, "We'll have to make a decision about chemo, and we have to..." I recognized the disbelief and the 'deer in the headlights look', the look of someone just coming to grips with the whole concept. I wrote him a little note. "Don't look at the big picture," I said. "You can't. It's overwhelming. We are not designed for that. The big picture is God's perspective. Just look at things one day at a time. The worries of the day are sufficient. One day at a time, you'll get through this."

Sounds pretty wise, doesn't it? One day at a time. Don't try to look at the whole thing. I'm a fine one to be giving advice, don't you think?

So tonight, I took another load of stuff down to the new house. I put the dishes away. I brought the empty boxes home. I'll fill them up again before I go to bed, and tomorrow, Tim will haul another load down, light stuff. A carload at a time, we'll get it done. One day at a time, I'll get through school.

Maybe, before this is all over, I'll learn to walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

8 comments:

KarenTX said...

May I borrow your "Don't look at the big picture" wisdom? I have two young friends whose mom has just fallen and broken her recently replaced hip as well as her femur. Doesn't look real good for her being very ambulatory. They are so worried about "what's out there" that I feel they are stressing to the max. I think it would be helpful to them, as well as ALL of us to remember these words.

WhiteStone said...

Sometimes my mind just starts "thinking" of all those issues ahead of me...whether it be health or Thanksgiving or whatever. It is good to be reminded that the "day will take care of itself". Bless you and Tim.

Pencil Writer said...

:-) One day at a time. :-)

Pencil Writer said...

:-) one day at a time :-)

Jayne said...

How do you eat an elephant?
One bite at a time ;)

Kelly said...

It will all work out. That's what I keep telling my daughter who is living with me while she waits for her remodelled house to be finished, while she waits for her baby which is due in about two weeks and nothing but the bed is up because everything else is in storage, while she tries to get over whatever she's had since she took her flu shot last week, while she starts letting herself get into panic mode.......

BUSH BABE said...

Make a list. Then put it aside. Totally helps.
I, of course, haven't made a list for three weeks. Chaos reigns supreme.

Off to take my own advice now!

:-)
BB
PS You are VERY wise you know...

PaintedPromise said...

even the longest journey is accomplished one step at a time... put one foot in front of the other...

and, oh the memories... last time we moved, it took us THREE MONTHS! i'm dead serious...