Wednesday, October 26, 2011

No Doubt

I do have to say that the conflict with my teacher has been on my mind. I find myself wondering if I am a professional? School's been hard, and I do get discouraged from time to time. So lately, I've been discouraged and wondering about myself.

I am about to do my first round of field work. I was lucky enough that I was picked for a position very close to home. As a matter of fact, the facility is next door to one of our rentals, on the same street as the new house. I had the name of the occupational therapist there, and I was supposed to contact her. Coming home from school, I dropped off a bag of dog biscuits for some friends, and then headed into town to meet Tim at the doctor's office. I had about 15 minutes, so on the spur of the moment, I decided to drop in to the facility, and leave my home telephone with the reception desk. That way the occupational therapist could call me at home, and we could set up a meeting. The receptionists told me to wait, because they were very sure that she'd want to see me.

And so I did.

A wheeled cart came by and I stepped out of the way. I looked up and into the smiling face of 'Goof' a guy that Tim and I used to work with at the factory where I was a janitor when I moved back to the area 15 years ago, during my family's hard times. It was great to see him, and we blabbed a while.

A smiling woman strode towards me saying, "Debby?" and I turned and saw a familiar face, a regular customer at the store. I was shocked, because I did not know what she did for a living.

She looked surprised too. "Where do I know you from?" I told her.

She said, "Of course!" and she was so glad that I was a little speechless (not a common thing for me). She looked at me and she said, "You are going to be perfect!" and she told me that I was funny and friendly and adaptable. She'd noticed this from watching me interact with people at the store.

You know, some days are discouraging. Other days are encouraging.

I felt as if, today, that all my yesterdays came together. As the three of us stood talking, Goof talked about our days at the factory, and of following my column to keep up with us. My new temporary boss was so excited to be my mentor that it just made me glad. At the end of our short visit, she gave me a hug. This woman doesn't know the doubting of my heart, but she tells me that 'I have what it takes'.

Know what? I believed her. I looked at her, and I had no doubt that I have what it takes.

I left there, and went to the doctor's office with Tim.

As I write this, PBS' Independent Lens comes on. Much to my surprise, I hear names I recognize, and I turn to see Cara's friend on TV. How strange is THAT?

6 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

These kinds of coincidences happen to me all the time. I'm no longer shocked by them, but I am still surprised. I just looked up the documentary you mentioned. It looks amazing! I am off to see if I can find it up here in the Great White North.

Jayne said...

Serendipity, she's was placed in your life to give you the mentoring and the support you needed to hear :)

Glad to read in your previous post that Tim went to the doctor! Hope it's nothing bad xxx

BUSH BABE said...

Like Jayne said: serendipidy. The doubts you have from your college experience says more about the one inflicting them, than the recipient (you).

Cannot check the link, my internet is almost frozen... excited just to get on for this comment!
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

...one of those posts that leaves me with a smile on my face. :)

Bob said...

Think maybe your new temporary boss/mentor is also your angel.

Lori said...

Very encouraging!