Saturday, October 22, 2011

Keys

The other day, Matt called from work. A set of keys was missing. Did I have them?

And I answered, "No. Remember? I just borrowed yours when I needed them. I'm afraid to sign keys out anymore, and if I have to, I note exactly which ones I took, because I'm afraid that people will think that I did something stupid." Which is valid. Keys come up gone on a regular basis there. They're gone, we do a major search, we find 'em. But it's driving our poor manager nuts.

Anyhoo, Matt said, "Oh, yeah. You were using mine. Let me talk to Pete." And that's the last I heard of it.

I walked into work the other day, and saw the manager, and called out, "So did they find those keys?" and he said, in a very unhappy voice, "No. They did not." But it turns out that the other set of keys which had been missing had been found, in another cashier's apron. Good news. Good news. I pulled my apron out of my locker and said, "I did not sign out keys on freight day..." and lo. My apron felt heavy. With a sick feeling I reached in the pocket. Yep. One set of keys. Oh, the boss was a happy man.

I'm glad I could make his day, but this still boggles my mind. I have not the foggiest clue how those keys ended up in my apron pocket, because I did not take keys from the key box. That was mortifying to be running my mouth. "No, I don't have keys. Not me..." and then pull the stinking things out of my pocket.

Oh well. It makes a good question for the Tractor Supply Trivia Game I am putting together for the Christmas party.

6 comments:

Mary Paddock said...

I put things down, away, and in pockets on auto-pilot all the time. I have two pairs of glasses. At the moment I'm squinting at the computer screen because I have no idea where they are (On the table? In the garden? On top of my head?). My head is ALWAYS somewhere else--often on the next task at hand, but--very often--I'm simply daydreaming.

I've come to view the car keys as vital to Gary getting to work so I'm careful with them, but it's not automatic.

Scotty said...

Like me, you seem to suffer the occasional bout of CRS...

:-)

Kelly said...

A mystery! Seriously, I often do things so routinely that I have no memory of doing them. I'm sure it's a simple as that.

WhiteStone said...

And I don't have the foggiest clue how my digital camera (lost two months) landed in the recycle bin. Happily I found it yesterday while dumping recycles in the dumpster downtown.

Debby said...

Oh, gosh, Kelly. I am sure that did stuff them in my apron pocket. I must have borrowed someone's keys, and then since they were not standing next to me, stuffed them in my pocket to give to them later, but I don't remember borrowing any keys but Matt's. It just annoys me when these things happen. It makes me feel (*gak*) senile.

Bob said...

Not enough space here to tell you all of our trials and tribulations with keys at our house. Three doors, three different keys, and we usually don't have any of them with us.