Monday, October 10, 2011

Justin


Justin is our neighbor at the new house. We like Justin a lot. He is an amiable kid, very good natured, a hard worker. He has been Tim's right hand man for the last few weeks, and this is a good thing. Tim needs him badly.

Tim is really in quite a bit of pain now. His sciatic nerve is giving him trouble and he can barely walk. I suggested that he go to the doctor today, and he did not answer me. That is what he does when he doesn't want to do what I want him to do. He pretends he doesn't hear me. So I whipped out the big guns. I said, "Tim, you just never listen to me." That's a bold face lie, actually, because he's pretty good at listening, except for when I want him to do something that he doesn't want to do. And then he pretends he didn't hear me. So he ignored me for a couple hours, but I could see that the pain was getting pretty bad. So bad that when I suggested, once again, that he stop in to see the doctor, he didn't pretend he didn't hear me. He said, quietly, "Yeah. I can do that."

Long story short, Tim is off work for a couple days, and on some pretty powerful steroids and muscle relaxers and pain killers. He feels better. Or at least he feels numb enough that he thinks he feels better. Hard to tell.

Anyways, while Tim's been pretending that he can't hear me, refusing to go to the doctor, and suffering in (sort of) silence, Justin's been an enormous help to him, and we are grateful. He tickles me with his little stories of the neighborhood. Like Booker C. Now Justin calls him 'Buttercup'. He doesn't know if Booker C./Buttercup has a home, but he does know that Buttercup doesn't like pumpkin seeds. He was sitting on his own front porch eating pumpkin seeds and when Buttercup ambled over, being a generous boy, he offered him one, and the cat said no.

Now, Justin's a veritable font of information. He knows our neighborhood. Saturday night, I heard a horse clopping down the street, and I looked over to see a horsedrawn trolley go by. That was kind of cool, and I figured that the Historical Society was having some sort of event. I mentioned this to Justin, that their Halloween walking tour was quite interesting. Trying to catch his attention, I said, "Did you know for instance, just one street behind us, there used to be a cemetery? They moved it, dug up all the graves and moved it out along Dorcon."

Justin says, "Oh, I know all about that." He pointed to the house that butts up to our property. "Joanne found a casket in her basement wall."

I stared a little. Joanne's house isn't any newer than our house. That little walkway in our back yard, the one that goes to no place? I'd been wondering if it used to go to that old cemetery. Tim pooh-poohed that one. He thought the cemetery was too far away from our house. I thought that it was completely possible that the cemetery had extended the length of the block. This is interesting, and it makes me all the more curious about the large piece of sandstone that lies at the end of the lot. It had been buried under about six inches of dirt.

Justin talked on. "I don't know if it's still there, or whether she had it removed or what..."

Late edit: I don't actually believe that our property was part of the cemetery, but it would be interesting to know where that old sidewalk went to, because we live between 4th and 5th St, one street in front of where the cemetery was, which meant that side walk would have led to the east side of the cemetery.


6 comments:

Bob Barbanes: said...

Heh, cute story. Wouldn't go digging around too much on that property. And if you hear any strange and/or unexplained noises in the night...well...I'd just go back to sleep if I were you (if I even could!).

Justin looks like a nice kid. I like his hat ;)

Debby said...

I know! And I didn't give it to him either. He is a nice kid, and he will talk your leg off, but he's not boring. Smart as a whip, too. Tim gets a kick out of him. He'll carefully watch Tim do something, and then jump right in and start doing it. I'd forgotten what it's like to be around teenagers, and I like the sound of his giant feet clattering through the house.

Debby said...

Oh, and I ain't scared of no ghosts.

Kelly said...

Oooo.... fun, spooky story!! :)

Kelly said...

....and now, thanks to you, I have the theme from Ghostbusters running through my head!

A Novel Woman said...

You do lead the most interesting life!

I hope you dig up that sandstone. I want to know if there's anything written on it. Six inches of dirt isn't that much to dig up.