Monday, October 17, 2011

Autosave

I worked like crazy at the store yesterday. When I came home, I had homework. My feet were killing me, and so I got the bright idea to plug in a vibrating heating pad, and rest my feet on it as I was typing. However, when I plugged it in, the computer shut down. I didn't take the time to figure out why, having more concern about the document that I'd been typing. I was very relieved to see it there in the autosave. I sat down and finished typing it. The vibrating heating pad felt great on my feet.

When I was done, I reached under the desk to unplug the heating pad, and the computer shut off once again. This time I saw why. The big plug of the heating pad was touching the switch on the power strip. The computer shut down once again as I unplugged the heating pad. I thought grumpy thoughts and turned it all back on. However when I went to the autosave, I was horrified to see that the document it saved was only the original first two paragraphs from when I plugged in the heating pad the first time. My work had been lost.

I'm actually surprised that the shriek was not heard in Australia.

Good news? My short term memory is not as bad as I thought.

4 comments:

KarenTX said...

That is one of the most awful, heart-dropping moments ever! I was fairly new to computers and was working on a large document at the office. Power went out and all went dark. When it came back on, it appeared that I had only lost about 2 pages, so I called the IT desk to find out how to retrieve them. The person answering my plea for help said "I just lost 8 pages." Oh well, never mind. LOLOL Glad your short-term memory held out!

Scotty said...

So that's what that noise was...

:-)

kristi said...

give your work a name before you start typing and just click the little save button after each paragraph......listen to your niece who learned the hard way with a 20 pager, it wasn't pretty when we got power back and I am sure my shriek was heard worldwide as well!! Keep up the good work, love ya!

Brianna said...

I had that happen to me the other night. I was in the middle of a discussion question, when the computer just booted me off the Internet (we've been having problems with our DSL doing that since it got turned on). Thankfully, it was relatively short, so I had no problem remembering what I had written! Still, kinda heart-stopping... don't even want to think what it would've been like if it was a whole paper!