Saturday, September 3, 2011

Well, Bill...

Well, Bill, we saw that cat. We worked at the house today. I painted the kitchen. (Tim changed his mind on the color. And then he changed his mind on the finish, and finally, he changed his mind on the color one last time). I painted the kitchen for the final time. Tim was in the back yard moving a shed with his truck. The noise attracted a neighbor boy, a quiet thin boy, smart, a worker. He pitched right in. We offered him work any time that he wanted it, and he was very excited at that opportunity. He looked around and found himself a project right away. Seems like an awfully good kid.

So we were closing the house up, giving Justin his last minute instructions. Tim pulled down the garage door, and much to my horror, I saw a long furry tail emerge from the top of the garage door. I thought for sure the thing was pinched in there, badly injured, even dead, but then two rear legs popped down scrabbling wildly. Tim was staring questioningly at me as I stared beyond him at the garage. Wordlessly, I pointed. He turned, and laughed out loud. Carefully, he raised the garage door, and the cat leapt down, inside the garage. "Here, kitty, kitty!" I called, and he shot out of the garage, past me, and down the driveway like his tail was on fire.

Now that was quite an astonishing photo opportunity there, but unfortunately, well, I was so afraid we'd killed a cat that pictures were the last thing on my mind.

Sorry, Bill.

Maybe next time.

4 comments:

Kelly said...

Well it's certainly nice to know he wasn't hurt! Don't worry...there'll be another photo op.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Exciting story. Keep a camera with you at all times. That's what I do. That's why I am able to photograph so many cats.

Jayne said...

That cat will be even more curious to see what humans have moved into his/her territory lol.

Anonymous said...

Now Bill, tell me true: would you photograph a dead cat? That was my problem. I suppose that I could have done a photographic essay entitled, "Curiosity Killed the Cat," with a suprise ressurection at the end (if he wasn't on the last of his nine lives, anyhow.) I never think of these things in the midst of dramatic event. Remember, I'm the same woman who stood on a beach and watched a plane crash right in front of her and never thought to take a picture. Probably why I am not a photojournalist in Alaska. Or anywhere else for that matter. :)