Thursday, September 15, 2011

That Cat

That cat was around a couple days ago *hangs head* No, Bill. I did not have a camera on me, but she sashayed up to Tim and wound around his legs a couple times and then came over to me to be held and petted. I set her gently back on the ground, and she walked into the open door of the house. I followed her. She sat waiting for me patiently at the top of the stairs. I climbed to the second floor and she went straight to the door of the third floor and began to try to nose it open. I opened it for her and she shot directly up the carpeted stairs and turned left. I went away, thinking to myself that she'd been in the house before. She knows the place. I wondered about her story, if she'd been abandoned by the previous owners. I went back outside and visited with Dave and Anna and Tim.

When it came time to close up and leave, lo, I could not find the cat. Anna helped me look. No sign of it, not anywhere. Tim laughed from outside. That cat had climbed out the window, on to the roof of the second floor porch, and then went to the side and leaped up on the third story roof, and was sauntering around having a cat's eye view of the world. She came when she was called, climbed back in the window, and came down stairs to sprawl lazily at Dave's feet for some more petting.

She really does act like she belongs, the furred royalty of that fine house.

In the midst of everything that has been going on, Tim's Uncle Chuck died suddenly, just a scant three weeks after his wife Ruby died. The funeral was yesterday. Tim's parents met him at the new house, and they rode together to the funeral, which was a 1 1/2 hour drive. Before they left, the cat checked up on things. When Tim's father saw the cat, he was quite taken with it. (It is a pretty creature.) He wanted to take it home.

It was Tim that told him no, that he couldn't have it. He told me about it that evening. "My father sure liked your cat," Tim said.

My cat. I like the sounds of that...

P.S. The cat's name is Booker C. I've long had a vision of sprawling on the couch in the library with a book in my hand, a purring cat on my lap, the gas log in the fireplace making a nice warmth.

10 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

Booker C. Cat? Love it... there's definitely more to this story. All kinds of goings on in your life - so sorry for Tim's family's loss. What a time. That cat is there for a reason. Glad it's being welcomed (or welcoming you?).
:-)
BB

Anonymous said...

Yep. The C is for Cat. Booker Cat. Booker C for short. Book for shorter.

A Novel Woman said...

You know, I'm a firm believer in the theory that our pets choose us, especially cats. All of my cats have found me, not the other way around. Sounds like Booker C. has found you, right when you both need each other the most.

Now, about that photo...

Kelly said...

Condolences on Tim's loss.

Debby, that's another reason you need a cellphone. You'd ALWAYS have a camera handy! (and you could also text me anytime you feel like it) :)

Bill of Wasilla said...

Oh, my! What am I going to have to do! I will be in New York at the end of next week - do I have to come down and photograph Booker C myself?

It sounds good that "my cat" sounds good to you.

My condolences to Tim. You two are going through a lot right now.

Anonymous said...

That would be excellent Bill. You come take pictures of Booker C. and we will show you the new house, and you can take pictures of that too, and then we'll let you sit in the library with a purring cat on your lap reading 'Gift of the Whale' while the gas log in the fireplace makes a nice warmth.

:)

Bob said...

"Welcome home, Tim and Debby" said Booker C.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I live closer to Debby, Bill. I could take the pictures of the cat. Debby, invite me over :-) I'm sorry to hear of the loss of Tim's uncle.

Anonymous said...

417 Water St, Linda. Be there or be square!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

What a NICE house! Bob and I stopped by this afternoon. We met Tim, and he showed us around. We'll have to stop by again and hopefully catch you there next time!

P.S. We didn't see the cat.