Monday, September 19, 2011

Sunday

Yesterday morning at work, we pulled a half ton of wood pellets inside. People sometimes just want a bag or two, so we keep some of them up front, along side the woodstoves, but we have tons of pellets stored outside, wrapped in plastic. Anyhow, I cut away the plastic from the pallet of pellets (say that ten times fast why doncha?) and we began tossing bags of pellets. Much to my dismay, between the bags was a preying mantis that had been damaged. That made me feel badly. We set him off to the side. We finished the job, and were surprised to find a toad had hidden away between those bags as well, and was hopping around the aisle.

I laughed, and I picked him up and carried him outside. I felt so bad about the mantis that I carried the toad to the end of the parking lot and set him down by the tall grass. I just would have felt terrible to set him down in front of the store and find him smooshed flat on the pavement later. (Natch, he showed his gratitude by peeing on my hand twice.)

I came back into the store, and continued to clean up the debris from our pallet of pellets. I was gratified to see that preying mantis sitting up as a preying mantis does, looking restored. He was carried out the back door and put in the tall grass there.

Life is made memorable by the small moments, the tiny details. At least it seems that way to me.

7 comments:

KarenTX said...

I'm the one they call when geckos get in the building, I was taught well by my son how to capture and release. Makes my day, too. :o)

Mary Paddock said...

I'm glad to know Daniel and I aren't the only ones who do things like this. It just upsets me no end to see something killed when a little extra effort would have prevented it.

Donna said...

I absolutely love your stories about work. But I guess I've already said that.

Pencil Writer said...

I, for some reason, thought you were going to tell us that you felt so badly for the shape the mantis was in that you located him close to the toad when you put each of them in the tall grass . . . Sorry, I guess I'm just really tired and should go to bed.

Jayne said...

I love Preying Mantis's, the ones around here get rather largish (possibly cos I don't use any pesticides) and always seem to latch onto the hubby's clothing to visit indoors lol.
The toad might be a lost prince ;)

Kelly said...

Like Pencil Writer, I thought you were going to say you put the mantis next to the toad...and let nature take its course. (I'm just assuming a toad would eat a mantis)

PaintedPromise said...

i hope the mantis makes it... they are one of my favorite insects! glad you didn't feed him to the frog!