Friday, September 2, 2011

In a Rut

Ruts have a bad rep. When you hear people talking about being in a rut, it's always seen as a bad thing. When life is difficult, I find that I appreciate my ruts. I am comforted by the knowledge that, in my rut, I know where I am headed, I know what to do, I know the people that plod at my side, I know what to expect.

Real life, life outside the rut is not always like that. Sometimes you have no idea what will come next. You don't know what to do. You're surrounded by people you don't understand (and, sometimes, are not so sure you want to understand). You have no clue what to expect.

Viva la rut, I say.

*plods off contentedly*

5 comments:

Kelly said...

I can relate to this. A rut can be comforting at times.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Pretty good writing for one in a rut...

Mary Paddock said...

I do like the security of routine. Change isn't always a good thing.

Anonymous said...

Well, Bill, there is no cat to be seen in this rut. How's the hiatus? Doing great things?

quid said...

My whole summer has been a rut. What the heck!