Sunday, September 4, 2011

faux pas

Well. You know how sometimes you blurt stuff and then later (and only later) realize that it could be misconstrued. I did that. 'Round here, I call them 'fox paws'. I did a fox paw today.

I'm at the grocery store picking up a few items. Dylan is coming home to see his grandmother, and it's almost his birthday so we'll celebrate his birthday while he's here. We haven't had a chance to do that for probably four years now, so it is a big deal in my own heart. I made Boston Cream Pie (his favorite) and the steaks are marinating, with a nice tossed salad to go with it. But then, Dave had roma tomatoes from his garden at church, and I thought that a nice bruschetta would go well with everything, but of course, then I had to stop to pick up black olives and bread to go with, so that meant a stop at the grocery store on the way home from church.

A woman smiled at me in a friendly way, and I smiled back. I noticed that she was watching me closely. Being self conscious, I begin to wonder about proverbial spinach on my teeth. Or worse yet, did I know her, and not recognize her? Gosh that happens to me all the time. I wondered and I worried.

Walking out of the store with my few items, talking with Tim, I saw the woman again. She said, "I'm sorry. I love your articles. I feel like I know you."

Relieved, I blurted, "Well, in a way you do, I guess, but gosh, next time, just let me know, otherwise it's just weird."

We all laughed, and we got in our respective vehicles and left.

I just called a reader weird. Good Lord. That's not what I meant at all.

*sigh*

Dear reader: if you are reading this, I did not mean it the way it sounded. Please comment and let me know that you were not offended. I should stick to writing. At least I can backspace and correct my mistakes.

4 comments:

Mikey said...

Sometimes I think we lead some parallel lives. I just had that happen the other day in Walmart and it was so weird to me, but in a good way!!! I've never been "recognized" like that and someone commenting on my blog, it just totally threw me, lol. But it was so nice and I was so touched. I know exactly what you mean though :)

Jayne said...

Never mind, I'm sure she knew what you meant ;)

Kelly said...

Well, I don't have to worry about that because my blog readers are either kin to me or live miles and miles away!

Actually, I don't think there was anything wrong in what you said at all. I'm sure she understood what you meant.

nancyspoint said...

What a great story! It makes me think we never know when we might actually meet an unknown to us reader. I have never given that any thought before.

I'm sure she was not offended! Oh, and your meal sounds yummy!