Tuesday, August 23, 2011

This road we travel

It's a busy time. The house moves forward. I started school yesterday. I'm trying to fit everything in, to have these last days with my mother.

We're have not been close. We have spent our lives circling each other. Sometimes our paths intersect, and we connect for a time, but then our paths take us away from each other once again. After all these years, I've accepted that thing and there is no bitterness about it. It is what it is.

At this time, our paths have intersected again, and there is nothing to be done but to remind her that her life has made a difference in my life, to think of small things that bring her great pleasure. I took her two perfect tomatoes to have sliced, with a little salt.

It's all I know to do, really. I don't try to grasp or to cling, because I understand that this is just for a time, and then that our paths will diverge once again. This time, however, there is the knowledge that our paths will not cross again in this life. It will be done.




9 comments:

Kelly said...

(((hugs)))

Jayne said...

(((hugs)))

jeanie said...

Tomatoes are the most beautiful gesture. Hugs to you.

BUSH BABE said...

Gosh. Tough. You are a great daughter, don't ever forget that. Hugs from here too.
((((BB))))

Anonymous said...

It is a difficult time for you Deb. I am sure you and your mother have many threads joining you and sometimes the emotion doesn't always come out right does it? I know you are always a very good, caring and cherished daughter. May her release be easy for you both. Hugs Barbx

Bill of Wasilla said...

Four paragraphs - a lifetime relationship conveyed.

Hal Johnson said...

Wow.

steviewren said...

Debby, you are a wise woman to make the best of this time.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I am so sorry to hear that your mother is gravely ill. I'm sure that she is appreciative of the time that you are spending with her.