Monday, August 15, 2011

I wish I could make it different...

I was over at Bush Babe's. In Australia, people are wearing red to commemorate Daniel Morcombe, a young man who disappeared eight years ago, while waiting for a bus to take him Christmas shopping for his family. After eight long years, a man has been arrested in the case. The family is hopeful that finally they will finally be able to have their son's remains brought home for a proper burial.

I cannot imagine not knowing what happened to your child. To be able to guess, but not to know. To not be sure. How do you stand such pain as that?

Half a world away, I clicked on the links BB provided and I was shocked to see one you tube video after another, all of them memorializing a child who had been killed, or had disappeared.

I am not a foolish woman, and I know that these terrible things happen, but somehow, seeing the faces, hearing the stories behind these little faces...my God. Oh my God. How can someone look into the eyes of those children and do them harm?

I heard a story about guerrillas in Africa who went into a village and lopped the right arm off of each child in the town. Because they could. Because they meant to instill fear so deep that there would be no resistance to rise up against them.

Perhaps it is because I've been so busy. Perhaps it is because I've held my little grandbaby William close many times this week. I don't know. It just strikes me that this world is an ugly, ugly world, and it makes me sad.

I sit here, and off in the distance, thunder rumbles. It reminds me that there is a great deal that happens in this world that I have no control over. I sit in my livingroom and I brood about these things, and pray for a way to make a difference.

I just need to make a difference.

7 comments:

Mikey said...

It's absolutely heart wrenching and so very scary. This world scares the heck out of me. I read these stories and I just can't imagine that kind of heartache. Such terrible sadness. I don't know what to do to make a difference.

Anonymous said...

It is hard to know what can change the world, especially for the ordinary person. I think that great change starts with each and every one of us trying to do the kind and caring things in their own community that really matter. We cannot all save the world but these sort of cruel actions that we see start with the wrong mindset. Most of them start with small wrong actions and in the wrong person they mushroom.

I believe that small 'right' actions can do the same - and have seen it happen, as I am sure you have too. You know Deb that the person who gives us a smile or does something thoughtful on a day when you felt down often did wonders for you and you felt 'good' and a part of things once again. We can all do that. We can do a small (or bigger) kindness when we see the opportunity, and watch out for children and others that need a little hand occasionally and hold them in our heart with love.

We can't fix the world but we can help our world and hope the love flows on. Who knows where it will end up?

Love Barbxx

"Let there be peace on earth and let it begin with me"

Anonymous said...

I know these things, but sometimes in the face of ugliness, I forget. You are wise and you are correct. It will begin w/ me. Thanks Barb.

Jayne said...

It's sad and sick and scary that someone could do that to a young boy like that, or any other child.

jeanie said...

There is ugly everywhere in the world.

It is important that we do know it exists, so that our ignorance is not the fertiliser for it to spread - but I think it is also important to notice and celebrate the beautiful things - such as your little William.

The media (of which I am an advocate of some members, but quite scornful of some who glorify the macabre) will tell you ALL about the bad stuff, and really, really dwell on the bad (to the point of creating scenarios so that you can imagine... you get my point).

That is why stories of good (such as the ones that you tell and you can find, with a little digging, almost everywhere on a good day) are more important than ever.

Kelly said...

I like to remind myself of this quote from C.S. Lewis: "You must believe that God is separate from the world and that some of the things we see in it are contrary to His will."

Anonymous said...

I don’t know if there’s more good or evil in the world. I’d like to think that there’s more good. They are often at the same place. Where there are hinderers there are helpers, where there are looters there are people who protect the property of neighbours and strangers, where there are harmers there are comforters. Where there are those who abuse and kill children -there are those, with empathy and sympathy, who wish to protect children and bring their abusers and killers to justice.
DavidM

“Yes, but I have to remind myself that just because I can’t help everybody doesn’t mean I can’t help somebody” –Tim Costello (CEO, World Vision Australia) when asked (in Somalia) if he ever felt overwhelmed by the people’s sufferings.