Friday, June 17, 2011

Trivialities

Yesterday was kind of stressful. I did not know what 'Wit' was about. Had I known just what I was walking into, I'd have probably sent the teacher a polite e-mail and spent that hour or so studying for the exam. I'm sure she'd have not minded. But I didn't know, and by the time that I figured it out, I was embarrassed to leave, feeling like I'd be making a spectacle of myself. So I stayed, and you all are right. I probably should not have. That was one intense movie. I cannot imagine anything worse that dying alone and frightened and with regrets. Like I said, it was as if my deepest fears were playing there for the whole class to see.

I was drained when I came home, and so I made up my mind to have an evening to myself. Tim was at work, and I was home alone, and so I curled up with my book. I heard a knock on the door. Scared me so badly, I jumped. I wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door, a little cautiously, and a woman stood there. Her horse trailer and truck were parked in front of the house. The poor woman was soaking wet, her hair dripping. She'd been camping across the road on the horse club property. She was packing up to go when the thunderstorm hit, and her Australian Shepherd had run off. She was beside herself. I brought her in and took her phone number, and promised her that I'd look and if I found 'Shelby,' that I'd bring her in with me, and call them right away. I gave her our phone number too, so that she could call if (when?) they found the dog. I don't like to think of an animal alone and scared in the woods. She thanked me profusely, and headed out the door. Within an hour, she called me to tell me that they'd taken one last sweep of the nearby woods after the worst of the storm had passed, calling their dog, when suddenly, she burst from the woods, from our side of the road, and raced to them, wriggling and wagging in her relief. Although I could not see the owner, her relief was obvious in her voice. I said, "Oh, I'm SO glad, I'm so very happy for you," and she was nearly crying when she hung up.

I feel better today. I went to bed shortly after that exchange and I read for a while. I slept soundly. I don't believe that I even woke up when Tim came home. I was tired, and we both slept in until about 7:30

We went down to the house to work. This is the first day this week that I put any serious work into it. I said , to Tim, that I hadn't been doing him any good. He looked at me seriously, and he said, "I think you're the one who needs the time." I think that he's right. I do feel better after putzing around for a few hours cleaning and scrubbing and the like. So I scrubbed. The downstairs walls are completely done. I need to scrub the floors, and then I will move upstairs to begin the second floor walls, tomorrow, I guess, while Tim's at work. Some people might whistle while they work. Me? I daydream while I work. About practically everything.

Other than that, no much to report. It's about time to head out the door and see what adventures that I can have at work.

5 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

Sometimes you just need to stop, grab a book and a cup of tea, and just rest, woman! There is no shame in that, and it helps you to replenish yourself so that you have the energy to tackle other things later on. I feel like an absolute slug by comparison...

Kelly said...

I'm so glad the dog story had a good ending!!

Are you enjoying that book? (Into the Wild?) I have to admit that my husband and I were neither one that impressed with it. I think we're in the minority on that, though.

Glad you're better today.
:)

Anonymous said...

I actually read the book from a mother's point of view, I suppose, and it broke my heart. I mean, the boy was a grown man. If he'd wanted to distance himself from his parents, he could have taken that $25,000 trust fund and gone to Africa and had some grand adventures helping people. His isolation makes me sad. I cannot say that I liked the book, but it is read.

BUSH BABE said...

What Pam said...
:-)
BB

Bill of Wasilla said...

I'm glad the Aussie was found. I grew up with an Australian Shepherd.

Kelly - a whole lot of people around here hated that book. I never read it, but the gist of the hate was that it struck them as glorifying stupidity and encouraging stupidity. We all saw it as a series of news stories before it ever became a book and it struck just about everyone as an exercise in stupidity.

As I commented on the previous post, though, I did enjoy the movie. Maybe one day I will yet read the book and then decide for myself.