Thursday, June 23, 2011

Today

The weather has been pretty crazy here. I feel ashamed to say that actually...compared to what other parts of the country are getting, I guess that I have to admit that we're having only mildly crazy weather. I love clouds, but I don't consider myself any sort of an expert on them. I'm more the gawking "ooooooh....look....pretty" sort of cloud observer. However, last month, I saw a cloud formation that caught my eye. I'd never seen anything like it. Turns out that it is a shelf cloud formation and they are considered rare. This is what they look like, and no, it's not my picture, because, truth be told, whenever I see something really cool, you can bet your bippy that I don't have a camera anywhere close by. But isn't it cool? Here's another example:
Strange thing was that just a couple weeks later, I saw the same cloud formation. So that was cool.

I have just two more days in my English literature class. I will really miss it. It was nice to get back to enjoying my classroom experience. Some of the students were good naturedly complaining about the amount of reading the class required. I had to own up to the fact that I am one of those people who regularly peruse the text book table, where people set their textbooks that they no longer want. Whenever I see an textbooks with short stories, or literature books, I always pick them up. I have three of them on my nightstand, and it is nice to read a short story at night before I fall asleep. I really do enjoy reading. Another woman in the class said, "You're such a literary geek." I had to admit that it was the truth. The teacher seems to think that I will be an English teacher. I'd surely love to teach, and I certainly enjoy reading and books, and writing, but I explained to her that I am in this for job security. In my county, they've cut 91 teaching positions. I'm not sure of how many teachers we actually have, but I'll bet that's roughly a third to one fourth of the teachers we have. An English teaching degree seems like another fast track to unemployment.

Everyone enjoyed their cinnamon rolls, although the teacher did take great pains to point out that she had a "Not For Sale" sign on her forehead. Translation: "Thanks for the cinnamon roll, but it's not helping your grade, sistah!"

Damn.

Got home from school early. Cara called. She's having adventures, trying to fit as much adventure in to her last 5 weeks in Korea. I said that I'd bake cinnamon rolls for her when she came home (using her artificial sweetner, of course). She told me that she had a list of foods she wanted me to make in quantities. Including, of all things, goulash. "Goulash?I didn't know you loved goulash" She said she didn't realize it either, until she dreamt about eating a huge bowl of goulash, and it was just about all she could think about.

That's about it, really. I'm way tired, and I am going to bed early. I'll read myself to sleep.

7 comments:

Scotty said...

Those are terrific pics, Debby.

Brianna said...

Let me know when you're making that goulash for Cara, Mom... I'll be there, LOL! ;D

Roland said...

Wow! beautiful pics.

Bob said...

She can say what she wants; the cinnamon rolls didn't hurt.

BUSH BABE said...

Amazing clouds. Bet there is going to be a reunion with a really BIG 'R' when that youngest daughter gets in from Korea! Her blog is fascinating...
:-)
BB

nancyspoint said...

Awesome cloud photos! literary geek, that description of yourself made me smile. And as an ex-teacher myself, I know what you mean about the unemployment thing... Sometimes you just never know what ends up being a favorite thing to our kids. Goulash, who would have guessed?

PaintedPromise said...

awesome clouds... i'm a cloud-person like you!