Monday, June 27, 2011

Disappointed.

I like to talk. I visit with all my customers. It's just how I am. I am not a flirter. I don't speak with any sort of sexual innuendos. I'm not interested in that. I'd never do that to Tim. I don't believe in it. A hundred different reasons. I'm just friendly, and I like to talk. So yesterday, I'm at the store. I'm not feeling well, but I'm there, because we don't have extra staff to be filling in the spaces when someone's sick. A regular customer comes in, but I've got a line, and so Ike hops on the other register and begins to wait on customers too, bless his heart. I finally catch up, and the regular customer is standing next to me and Ike's waiting on him. So, I said, "Well! Way to hurt my feelings, there. You can't wait just for a minute to me to catch up....noooooo....you defect to Ike's line."

You know. Just horsing around.

And the guy leans over close and tell me that I need to pipe down or he'd turn me over his knee and give me a good spanking.

I wasn't sure quite how to respond. I mean, our conversations have never gone in that direction before, and he was really quite 'in my space'. Usually, we have a counter between us. So I must have stood there stupidly long enough for him to either think that I hadn't heard him, or that perhaps (God forbid) I was titillated at the thought of it. So he repeated himself.

A regular customer.

I looked at him, and said, very carefully, "No. I don't think so. That's a good way for someone to get hurt. Namely, you."

He said, "You wouldn't like that, then?"

I said, "No. I would not."

Why does it have to be like that? I was really disappointed.

12 comments:

Mary Paddock said...

Don't you just hate it when conversations like that take a wrong turn? Sometimes people make statements like that with zero forethought as to the effect on the person they're speaking to. You handled it just fine, but I have found a rather pointed, "That's not funny" will nearly always earn a sincere apology. Sorry Deb. I can imagine how you felt.

WhiteStone said...

Makes you just want to smack 'em up alongside of the head.

Years ago I had a co-worker whose words sometimes went in this direction. Someone told me then, "Them that can't do, talk about it." For whatever that little thought is worth. lol

Mrs. Spit said...

I find a "pardon me?" repeated ad naseum sometimes works, but yes, I think you handled it just fine.

Mikey said...

I'm surprised he dared repeat it. Some people are just over sexed and take it too far. But that's a little weird, being in your space like that. You handled it very well.

Kelly said...

What a shame. I would think the long pause and what I'm sure was a non-receptive look on your face would have given him the message...before he repeated it. Embarassing for him.

You handled it well.

A Novel Woman said...

Ick, ick, ick. For what it's worth, this has happened to me, too. I'm friendly, talkative, open to polite conversation with strangers in part because I also worked in retail sales and it becomes a habit. But you handled it well. (I have friends who call me a "nut magnet" so I get it.)

Bill of Wasilla said...

I'm disappointed, too. The guy needs to learn some restraint and self-control.

Cara said...

Mom, channel your inner-mom powers. If it ever happens again throw your hands on your hips and break out the dangerous, "I'm about to count to three before someone get's it" look. Everyone respects the mom look. It's universal. Like the RA look.

BUSH BABE said...

What a VERY silly boy. Hope he grows up one day.
;-)
BB

Bob said...

I think you handled it beautifully.

quid said...

Deb - I think you handled it in a way where it won't happen again, but the guy will still be able to pretend it didn't happen and address you appropriately.

A win for you.

People are messy.

quid

PaintedPromise said...

go Cara, love what you said!!!