Monday, June 6, 2011

Been to my thinking spot...



I have a question.

Are there no great works of literature that are not deep, black, filled with angst or horrible occurrences?

Are all great works of literature depressing?

I've a notion that people seem to think so. I like "The Wind in the Willows", and I consider "Winnie the Pooh" to be a very wise charactor. So why do they never assign these books in a literature class? I could be happy reading those sorts of books.

Gotta go. Yet another story about a person grappling with his dark side awaits.

Stuffed bears do not have a dark side.

Just something I noticed.

You're welcome.

8 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I recently glanced at the reading list of Harvard Classics and have enjoyed reading (on my iPad free) the autobiography of Benjamin Franklin. Also a novel titled "A Happy Boy" by Bjornstjerne Bjornson, written about 1860. A story of Norwegian peasant life. Not long. Easy read. Loved it. You can find the text online.

Kelly said...

You are so right, Debby..... Pooh is a very wise bear!!

Brianna said...

You're absolutely right Mom. Pooh has no angst, or a dark side. I recommend reading some Pooh Bear stories after you read your angst-filled school book, so as to off-set it! :)

Bill of Wasilla said...

Oh, did I love Winnie the pooh!

When I was in the third grade, I made a ceramic Winnie the Pooh and a ceramic rocket for him to fly. In time, the rocket disappeared, but Winnie stayed with me.

In my freshman year in college, I took an art class and one of the assignments was to make a box for our favorite thing. I made a box for Winnie the Pooh and kept him there, in display.

After my sophomore year, just before I went on a two-year mission for the Mormon Church, I gave Winnie the Pooh to my girlfriend.

I never saw him again.

A dark story, indeed.

Kelly said...

Awwwww, Bill.... Pooh holds a very special place in my heart and your story really made me sad!

jeanie said...

Have you read "The Tao of Pooh"?

Jeanie

Bill of Wasilla said...

Thank you, Kelly.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debby,
"The Wind in the Willows","Winnie the Pooh" would usually be assigned to people studying Children's Literature.
DavidM

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=studying+children%27s+literature+wind+in+the+willows%2C+winnie+the+pooh&btnG=Search&hl=en&spell=1&sa=X&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=