Thursday, May 5, 2011

Yesterday

Today at work, a mother came in with three lively boys. They burst through the doors yelling to go look at chickens and the bunnies. Chick days are over, so we don't have the live animals anymore. They were disappointed but found plenty of other things to do. "Look, mommy, this is Daddy's car!" holding up a toy car and much to their mother's surprise it was...a red Camaro. Another boy was rushing to the drinking fountain, another boy was wanting a shovel. They were kind of hither and thither and yon, not being bad, not at all. Just loud. When their mother said 'no', they didn't push or whine. She grabbed my hand. "We just finished baseball, and I'm freezing." Her hands were cold too. It's hard to believe it is May, really. But the boys kept on, and she paid for her horsefeed, and the one of the boys was swinging on a lawn swing. Another was standing on the horsefeed, and another one headed for the drinking fountain at the back of the store. I looked at mom. "I'd hate to see how much energy this bunch has when they are not worn out by playing baseball in the cold." She laughed. "I know, right?" she said. "People tell me these boys are busy all the time. I tell them they need to be." She headed out the door, two boys sitting on top of the horse feed on the flat cart. One fell off in the parking lot, lost his shoe and limped to the car crying. She examined his foot. I watched through the window. Behind me, came a bellow, "Mom?!!!! Mooooooooooooom?" and I turned to see the one who'd been getting a drink turning around and around with a frantic look. "She's out in the parking lot," I said, and I walked out with him. I cautioned him not to run through the parking lot, and looked for traffic holding his shoulder. "Okay," I said, "it's clear..." and he scooted to his mother's SUV. I walked back in and I missed it, the having young children, the hubbub of it all. My youngest is half a world away, and she is homesick, and I cannot fix it. My oldest is a mother herself. I can't make the math work in my head, but just yesterday I was a busy mother who also rated activities by their 'exhaustion factor'. Surely it was only yesterday...


First final tomorrow. 11 days of school left.

10 comments:

Bob said...

Yes those were the days. Nothing like energetic little boys.

BUSH BABE said...

I know. I expect to wake up tomorrow with Dash and Violet in uni.

Good luck with finals (not that you will need it!)
:-)
BB

Hal Johnson said...

My sinuses again.

Debby said...

Those sinuses are starting to become a chronic problem. Have you ever tried a neti pot, Hal?

:^D

Now run along and give Dylan a hug while you still can.

Kelly said...

Even the old curmudgeon that I am (about kids, that is...) sometimes thinks back longingly on the days mine were little. There really were SO many good times!!

Cara said...

Do you remember that time you took Dylan and I to a magic store when we were young? You bought us those marbles that had a magic wand that could pick them up and a prism? We probably played with those for days.. How fun a couple of magnets and an oddly shaped piece of glass were.

Dean said...

Oh yeah, nothing like the drain of kids! LOL! I never feel more alive than when I'm half dead - chasing after my kids, shouting "put that down".

Good read. Consider splitting up post more... Paragraphs are your friend.

quid said...

Blink. And these 11 days will go by and on to the next. We are all so proud of you.

quid

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby said...

Good to see you back and writing again, Dean. I know this post was wrong. I've switched to Windows Internet Explorer 9, and it is wreaking havoc on the blog. I have to write from the HTML tab, and I'm not good at that. I was tired, and rushed, and wanted to catch that moment...I was surprised at my visceral response to once again feeling a small shoulder beneath my hand. It was not a good catch, I will agree. I did not bother wth paragraphs because I was tired.