Monday, May 9, 2011

Today at theTractor Supply

Saturday was a hopping busy day at the store, just crazy busy. Friday night had been so busy that we did not have time to get the store straight for the following work day so we all showed up an hour early to square it all away, and lucky we did, because like I said, we were hopping busy all day Saturday too. I was tired at the end of my shift, and I was ready to go home. Much to my shock, my drawer was off. Like $26. and change off. I was horrified. I double count my change, and am careful. I was told not to panic until the end of the day, when we would see if it showed up someplace else...such as if change had been miscounted from one drawer to the next, or something. I walked out of there, and I was a little sick. It's not good to have something like that hanging over your head.

I had Sunday off, and went back tonight. The money had not been accounted for anywhere else. I did not cry, although I thought that I might. I apologized though. I told the manager that I was hugely sorry, that I did not have any idea what could have happened. He said, "Well, there needs to be two names on that cash discrepancy sheet. I ran on your drawer for the half hour that you were at lunch." He pushed the sheet at me. He had already signed it, and I signed my name next to his. We counted our drawers, and then switched and verified the drawers. Today, happily enough, they were right, down to the penny. That is usually the case. Mark said, "I really think it was a transaction error. I don't think it was a cash handling error." I don't understand what that means, exactly, but I do understand this much. It means the manager of the store trusts me, and I walked out of there tonight and I didn't need to know more than that.


Back to the books.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I think they know you well enough by now to know you are trustworthy. Try not to dwell on it.

I'll be thinking about you and saying some extra prayers as you plow through this busy last week of school.

Mrs.Spit said...

Sounds like something got recorded as cash and was a credit/debit transaction. Used to happen when I managed the restaurant.

And if it wasn't? Let me put it this way, I work for a bank. We are thrilled when we are out something like 26 dollars. It's not a biggie.

Mary Paddock said...

THIS is why I have avoided jobs that entailed cash registers. ;) I'd be a nervous wreck on a regular basis. Gary used to work in retail in a town with a lot of tourist industry and balancing that drawer at the end of a busy day was nerve racking sometimes.

I'm glad it worked out and it does sound like something was simply entered wrong.

The Factory said...

I thought I left you a comment the other day, maybe I didn't. Anyway just checking in to see you're fine. Which you appear to be.

Debby said...

I didn't see one, Stu. Yeah. I'm doing okay. A and P just kicked my rear. Oh, my gosh, was that hard. I looked at your trip to Venice. Looks idyllic.

Jayne said...

Your reckoning is probably far better than the cash register, Debby ;)

PaintedPromise said...

just goes to prove that your boss KNOWS you Deb!