Thursday, May 12, 2011

At Aldi's

Yesterday after class, I drove home, stopping by the grocery store to pick up something for a couple fast meals to keep Tim and I fed through this next couple of days. I saw an elderly couple who live down the road. They walked close together as she pushed the cart. His arm was around her waist and his white head inclined towards her white hair. And he sang softly, "You're still the girl for me..."

My eyes watered at the sweetness of the secret scene, and I did not speak as I passed, because I didn't want to interrupt. I don't even think they noticed.

3 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

I love stories like that. I wrote one about an elderly man in the grocery store. I had just been complaining (bitterly) (in my head) about the massive groceries I had piled up in my cart (and the need to load them, pay for them, cook them) when I noticed he had a single apple, two bananas, and one can of soup. I realized he was alone, and the groceries I was hauling through the store would be used to feed my family who were all waiting for me at home. Put it into perspective, it did.

BUSH BABE said...

Gorgeous - gives me hope!!!
:-)
BB
PS Tried to comment yesterday but blogger was naughty...

PaintedPromise said...

aw, does the heart good...