Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not again.....

When I headed off to school this morning it was cold, but dry. The roads were bare. After my class, I headed over to a Head Start program, where a team mate and I had some children's activities to do. I was a little surprised to see that it had begun to snow again. "I'm reeeeeally getting tired of this," I said a little wearily, and I got the brush out and swept the snow from the car.



After our activities, I drove back to the college in the snow, and I had a meeting with another classmate for our presentation on Friday. Heading back to class, I was a little surprised to see that it was snowing even worse. I called Tim. He told me that the roads in Pennsylvania were horrible.



By the time that class was over, and I headed home, the roads were, indeed, terrible. I spun my way up our hill. The car tires were spinning and I could smell the rubber, and I was crawling along. I came upon two boys in their car, spinning, not moving. My car was inching along. I was afraid to pass them for fear that my car would STOP inching along, and we would wind up stuck side by side, blocking the entire road, but I had no choice, and finally, I did pass them, and inched my way past them. I finally made it to the top of our hill. I love my old 'winter rat' (it's what we call our winter cars...they are not purty, but they are tanks, trustworthy and sure footed (tired?)



I walked into my house with no small amount of gratitude, and checked out weather.com. They had been called for an inch of snow or there abouts, and it was already much much worse than that. The new weather alert read:

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 AM EDT THURSDAY. * LOCATION... NORTHERN TIER OF PENNSYLVANIA INCLUDING WARREN... MCKEAN AND POTTER COUNTIES. * PRECIPITATION TYPE... WET SNOW... MIXING WITH RAIN. * ACCUMULATIONS... 1 TO 3 INCHES IN THE VALLEYS... 4 TO 7 INCHES ON THE RIDGES. * TIMING... SNOW WILL CONTINUE THIS EVENING... MIXING WITH AND CHANGING TO RAIN BEFORE DECREASING TO SHOWERS LATE TONIGHT. * WINDS... NORTH WINDS AROUND 5 MPH... BECOMING EAST AFTER MIDNIGHT. * IMPACTS... WET SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ON GRASSY SURFACES AND OUTDOOR OBJECTS IN VALLEY LOCATIONS WITH WET ROADS... SNOW COVERED ROADS AND SLIPPERY TRAVEL IN HIGHER ELEVATIONS. A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES... AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING. MOTORISTS SHOULD BE ESPECIALLY CAUTIOUS ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES... WHERE SLIPPERY SPOTS DEVELOP FIRST.



Those higher elevations? The ridges they're talking about? Yep. That's where I live. It's still snowing like crazy.





During the month of March, the robins returned. So did the buzzards, and the redwing blackbirds too. One memorable afternoon, I was digging in the dirt at the new house. I know spring is all around me, but danged if I can find it in all this snow.

15 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I suppose it is an unChristian attitude to be glad the snow is not in one's own backyard?

While you were spinning your tires, I was cleaning oak leaves from the flower bed. And sweating.

Isn't that strange how weather is diff in diff areas.

Mrs. Spit said...

This is where I speak with authority. Absolute, complete and total authority.

Je suis Canadienne. Je comprende le neige. Je destete le neige, mais je comprende le neige. Je ne comprende pas la printemps en Mars. Ma printemps, c'est mai, ou c'est possible dans jun. N'est impossible, les printemps ou Mars. Incroyable.

Sorry Debby, but we have at least 6 weeks to go here. My sympathy, it is small and faint for you.

Whitestone, it is perfectly sensible to be thankful that snow is in someone else's backyard, after all, are we not told to give thanks in all things?

Debby said...

Je ne suis Canadienne. Je suis 'Pennsylvanian'. Ma printemps, c'est Mars!!!! Neige en Avril? C'est incroyable.

However, I do have a large and strong sympathy for you, Mrs. Spit.

Debby said...

PS: If Whitestone can give thanks that the snow is not in her backyard, I can, I suppose, manage to give thanks that I do not live next door to Mrs. Spit in Canada, where spring is not expected for 6 more weeks.

Mikey said...

4-7 inches... y'all need to vacation down here this time of year. You need it and deserve it. If I was rich I'd fly you both here in a heartbeat.

Bill of Wasilla said...

You've got me chuckling all over the place....

jeanie said...

Ah - we are feeling a little bit of nip here in the pre-dawn hours. Having to throw on a cardi, even.

Snow - well, we have to pay to see that.

BTW - "I'll never cease to be amazed when someone tells me that they love to read what I love to write." - I love to read what you write.

Dave King said...

Beautifully told.

A Novel Woman said...

Hey, je suis Canadienne and I just saw crocuses and tulips and snowdrops peeking up from the sun-warmed soil around the base of trees. And there's a family of robins setting up house in my hedge and a family of cardinals.

We were supposed to get the same snow storm you got, but it skirted Montreal and hit south of us.

Where you live.

Bwa-hahahahahahaha!

Sorry. It slipped out.

Debby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Debby said...

So. I've been saying that the Canadians are genetically nice. Maybe this is not so, NW? Because that bwhahahahahahahaha was just mean, NW.

Bob said...

It's spring in your heart . . .

quid said...

OMG. Beautiful pictures, but I just can't imagine snow. Think it's cuz I'm in Florida?

quid

Bill of Wasilla said...

This whole thing is very embarassing to me.

nancypoint said...

Debby, I relate too well. There are still piles of the white stuff around here to melt. It has been a long winter hasn't it? I guess we just have to keep looking...