Thursday, April 28, 2011

Today at the Tractor Supply

I went galloping into work like I usually do, one step ahead of late, and I threw on my vest and headed for the register. I saw a picture of a kid, a good looking teenager, tanned with brilliant blue eyes and the stance of an athlete. I saw that they were holding a benefit for him. I studied him a minute. He went to the high school that all of mine graduated from, and I wondered if Cara knew him. The poster said they were raising money for his medical expenses.


Gary knows everybody. I never have seen the likes of it, so when we had a quiet moment, I said, "What's the story with that boy they are having the benefit for." And Gary shook his head. "It's a good friend of Ike's," he said, naming yet another coworker. "They thought he had the flu. He had spinal meningitis. He lived, but he's got the mind of a five year old." I stared in horror.


I cannot stop thinking about that. I always thought that the death of a child would be the most terrible thing ever, but I seriously cannot imagine anything like staring into the face of your son every day, at the same time knowing that you will never talk with that teenager again.


7 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

How terribly awful. Hoping the fundraiser goes well.

Mikey said...

That is a horrible thing to have. I got it at age 19. 3 days in ICU, a week in the hospital. Nearly killed me, and took me some time to get strong enough to walk again. I was lucky.
I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.

A Novel Woman said...

Breaks my heart...

Hal Johnson said...

Jesus. I'm not swearing.

Mary Paddock said...

How very sad. I hope they raise a lot of money, but more than that, I hope they raise a lot of community love for this boy.

jeanie said...

Oh that poor family.

PaintedPromise said...

well that got me tearing up... off to say a prayer of thanks for my 3 healthy kids all grown to adulthood!! and of course a prayer for this boy and his family...