Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Hither, Thither, and Yon


This is the last big push.

Tomorrow is the big day to turn in the position paper I've been working on for some time. I've put in two late nights on it. I spent 2 hours on it at school. I spent a couple more hours on it here at home. It is done, and placed in a folder with my stack of references. That was a relief.

I turned my attention to my presentation tomorrow. It is supposedly a group project, but no one has met from our group. Out of five people, one girl volunteered to use her laptop to play a video. That was it. The presentation is supposed to explain what OT is. (April is Occupational Therapy month.) We had five groups for the five senses. My group is doing vision. I just got three blind folds, and a large shirt. I'm taking a teapot, a cup, some teabags, pencils, paper. I'm going to have a volunteer perform three ordinary tasks while blindfolded. After we have a very good laugh (I've got some little tricks up my sleeve to make sure that the person has some trouble with the tasks), we'll talk about what an Occupational Therapist would be doing for our volunteer. I'll give a brief overview of the need for independence that almost all of us have, and that my job will be to help my clients live as normal a life as possible no matter what their disability. Short, sweet, to the point, but entertaining as well.

I'm done.

I have projects I could be working on for next week (the fun never ends!)but I am tired. Beat. I am going to bed and curling up with my latest find at the second hand book store. It is a paperback book, a reprint of 'Malcolm' written by George McDonald, orginally published in 1875. MacDonald was the favorite author of C.S. Lewis. Most intriguing to me? The book has a stamp in it. It was bought at the Keswick Book Shop, Portal House, Bandi St, Nairobi.

The story is interesting, but I find myself longing to know the story of the book itself. How do you suppose that it got all the way to a thrift shop in a small town in northwestern Pennsylvania? Oh, if only that book could talk!

7 comments:

Redlefty said...

MacDonald is a hero of mine as well! For some reason if/when I envision reading at someone's bedside, whether they're ill or passing on, I picture myself reading his essays.

Kelly said...

Wow! I'd be curious about the history of the book, too!

I'm telling ya...you have had cruddy experiences with group projects!! I know it's been frustrating for you having to always pick up the slack!

Debby said...

Ooooh. I need to point out that this particular group project was a PTA. It is for the school's Earth Day (what the two thing have in common, I couldn't tell you, but hey...) The projects were assigned, but they are not for credit. None. Vague promises of 'the best one will receive extra credit'. The thing is, we are up to our eyeballs in work right now. Truly. I can understand that this would be a low priority. In fact, this AM, before I left the house, I had a tiny meltdown in which I said, "This is crap! The project is not worth anything. I'm not doing it. I don't have the freaking time!!!" But I sat down this AM and restructured my paper in two hours, studied for a test, got finished with A and P an hourearly, and headed home to work a couple more hours to put the finishing touches on it. Then I got to thinking about that stinking no credit project, and feeling bad...and so I did it. But I can understand why the others said 'Forget this!' If you prioritize, this just isn't a big one since it does not count. The empty tables sure would make us (as a group) look bad. I just have this terrible need to be responsible. Always.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Please do well. I think I might need some occupational therapy soon and who else but you can I turn to?

BUSH BABE said...

One might say that a 'terrible need to be responsible and go the extra mile' might be JUST what one looks for in an OT.
Just sayin'...
:-)
BB

jeanie said...

Hmm - when asking who will be the OT to employ from your college, I am pretty sure the extra mile will have been noticed by those who recommend.

Credit does eventually come where it is due...

Scotty said...

Let us know how those little 'tricks' turn out?

:-)