Saturday, April 2, 2011

At the Tractor Supply

A little boy comes into the store regularly with his mother to buy a Schleich animal. It is always a very long process to pick his animal. His mother will show him a toy and say "What about this?" He is very spoiled, very loud, very obnoxious. He stands nose to hip with his mother, and screams "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" as long and loud as he can. Her response is simply to roll her eyes, and respond quietly. Week after week, this little scene plays out. This week, however, the tantrum carried over to the check out line. He was roaring at his mother as she paid for his new toy. I looked at him and said, "We don't allow screaming in the Tractor Supply." Very matter of factly. He stared at me consideringly, and then promptly turned to his mother and bellowed "ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!" at the top of his lungs. He wasn't mad. He wasn't saying anything. He was just bellowing. I immediately interrupted him, saying sternly. "I'm not joking. We do not allow screaming in the Tractor Supply. You need to stop that right now." Shocked, he did. His mother said, "You need to remember that rule. You cannot scream at the Tractor Supply," as they headed out the door. I hope she remembers it too. That one stern, no nonsense admonishment stopped his bad behavior immediately. I hope she gives it a try.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Great job!!!!!!!!!!!LOLOLOL That mother was probably wanting to take you home with her. Puhleeeeze let us know what happens next time he comes in! I see so many parents letting kids get away with stuff. Not that mine didn't from time to time, but nothing like today. Take a stand, parents!! LOL

Mikey said...

Isn't that amazing how that works? Makes me wonder why the parent didn't just speak up in the first place. I see those types all the time and it makes me a little discouraged about this generation of parents.

One of my favorite sayings is "No, No and more No" lol. I threaten all kinds of things, mostly that she'll have to go sit in the truck. She knows I mean it!

ellie k said...

amen for you, I don't know why some parents let there children rule the house and them. My children are both strict with my grandchildren and they know what no means, even when grandma would say yes sometimes.

BUSH BABE said...

I am not strict enough. It's hard. I try but its the consistency thing that gets you. Well done - hopefully this Mom will take heart from the improvement in her kid's behaviour and follow suite.
:-)
BB

jeanie said...

It is so hard being the parent of a kid who develops that sort of loop - generally because you get dragged into it inch by inch - perhaps her quiet word used to work, then it worked occasionally - and sometimes it takes an outside perspective.

Consistency is the key - because I see waaay too many parents of screaming kids who use the hard words too - but everything loses its value if it isn't stuck to.

Now to tell myself that in the moments of meltdown.

Jayne said...

Not to be a spoil sport but he could very well be on the Autistic Spectrum and this is his way of venting the anxiety of having to make a choice of an animal - and also being out in a shop.
Plenty of us parents with kids on the Spectrum have tried to stop our kids from screaming but, in the kids' mind, they are venting their fears and anxieties at their parent - the surrounds and other people barely register by that stage.
Yes, ASD kids do appear obnoxious, spoilt and rude but have a second look and reconsider your first thought.
Debby, that was a brilliant way you handled him - if he is on the Spectrum you've created a rule he has to abide by and it's been set by someone other than his mother (his verbal punching bag) so he's more likely to respect it.