Monday, March 14, 2011

You know....

Yesterday, at the Tractor Supply, a couple little girls came in with their grandfather to see the chicks. The ducklings are gone. We still got bunnies, though. So people bring their kids in to see them, and really, the darn things are soooooooo cute. Fun to watch, and the peeping of the chicks just makes me think of spring. Even though I can look out the front door of the store and watch it snowing. But that's another whine for another day.

So these two little girls came up to the counter with their grandfather to check out. I asked them what they thought of the chicks and weren't they cute? etc. etc. etc. And excitedly they chattered about chicks, and how they wanted one, and grandpa smiled indulgently, but told them no. I said, to smooth it all over, "All I want is two chickens, but I'm not allowed either." The littlest girl, about five years old said, "Why can't you have them?" very interestedly. I looked down at her. "Well, my husband told me no." (He did too. He's afraid they will bring coyotes into the yard, or that our neighbor's dog will get them, and there will be problems. Best just not to even open that door, in his opinion...just buy the eggs at the grocery store...) So I looked down at this little girl, just the cutest thing, and I told her, "Well, my husband said no," and that little pippersqueak leaned forward and said, "You know, you don't have to do what they say..." as if she was imparting great wisdom to me. And grandpa and I burst out laughing.

Later, as the three of them were walking out the door, the littlest one got side tracked by the Schleich horses. She wanted one in the worst way. Grandpa said, "Well, we'd better go ask grandma. See what she thinks about this." I walked past them, and the littlest one said, "We're going to ask my nana if I can have this black horse!" very excitedly. And grandpa took their hands and they headed for the door. Grandpa said, "I have to listen to grandma. I know better."

I went back to building the decorative display windmills, and I chuckled to myself at that exchange. And not much later, the girls returned with a very sweet faced grandma who loved them as dearly as their grandpa did. And the littlest girl got her black Schleich horse, as the adults laughed once more.

8 comments:

Twain12 said...

that is too precious

Kelly said...

Awwww. That's a cute story. I've wanted some chickens, too, but my husband also says no (for many of the same reasons).

Bill of Wasilla said...

I remember buying some of those cute little easter chicks that they used to die different colors - pink, blue, purple, red. They always died.

I want a black horse, too.

Or even a white one.

And someone to take care of it for me at no charge.

Debby said...

A Schleich horse is a detailed and collectible toy, Bill. You would not have to pay someone much for taking care of a Schleich horse.

http://www.schleich-s.com/en/search/collectables/product_range/world_of_nature/farm_life/farm_animals/index.html

jeanie said...

I know EXACTLY what a Schleich horse is - I have a girl who has over 20 AND a menagerie of associated Schleich animals. Even got a doggarned Schleich tree and paddock.

I make sure she earns every darned cent of them, because otherwise the economy would be affected.

BUSH BABE said...

Oh we have a little collection of Schleich animals at our place. Gorgeous. I adore these snippets Deb. I feel like am where we couldn't quite make it in real life - at YOUR Tractor Supply store.
:-)
BB

Bill of Wasilla said...

Sometimes, toy horses eat the most...

Debby said...

And I guess that little Schleich haybales would not be cheap...