Friday, March 25, 2011

Winter Worlds

It's snowing still. We had about 5 or 6 inches on the last day of school. For the last two days, it has been lightly snowing. It is gray and dreary out there this morning, but two days ago, I was digging in the dirt, digging up crocuses to go with my tulips and daffodils. On my dining room table it is spring. That, and the memory of the smell of the good rich earth, those two things will get me through to days when, finally, I am warm again.

I read a thing on Zsa Zsa Gabor being admitted to the hospital from the stress of her friend Elizabeth Taylor's passing. At 95, she is fearful of being next. Her publicist said, "She isn't going to be next. She's a strong woman, a fighter." I've been thinking on that. I wonder about their world, a world that does not acknowledge that death comes for all of us, and that none of us know when. I wonder about people who believe that they can simply fight off death, simply choose not to die. I wonder about a woman being paid to make pronouncements of who will go first and when. I wonder if this elderly lady is comforted by those empty words. What a foolish and artificial world these people live in!

Mostly though, I find myself wondering once again, when it will stop snowing.

In the depths of winter, I learned that within me there lie an invincible spring ~ Camas

8 comments:

nancyspoint said...

Debby, I relate too well to your thoughts about the white stuff. We got eight inches the other day! ugh. I put up pictures from last year on my blog today hoping to move spring a long a bit. ha.

Twain12 said...

we got a lite dusting over night , but thankfully some of it is gone again. We still have enough of it on our lawn and in the woods , but there are signs of spring everywhere.

Bob said...

We got home from our cruise yesterday. I had on shorts and a polo; Susan was in flip-flops. Local temp was 45. What a shock. Not what you are having, of course, but still a shock. Read somewhere that winter refuses to be upstaged by spring. Couldn't have said it better myself.

BUT it's still spring break for you! Enjoy!

Jayne said...

Enjoy your holiday and I hope the Spring on your dining table encourages the warmth and pretty flowers outside your window into making an appearance ;)

Kelly said...

It got cool here again overnight. Not cold, but cool in contrast to all the things I see blooming. The dogwood seem to have just popped out overnight!

BUSH BABE said...

Gosh - even though I was just there a few weeks ago, it still blows me away that HERE its stinking hot and THERE you are still getting snow.

Sending some sunshiny thoughts your way. (Hope the sweat doesn't follow it!)
:-)
BB

Bill of Wasilla said...

Hmmm... interesting. In more beautiful words, Camus seems to be saying muxh the same thing as Zsa Zsa Gabor.

Well, it's 40 degrees here today and there are puddles everywhere. We have hardly had any snow this winter. The ground has long been covered, but with just a think layer, so if this melting keeps up, it won't last long.

Could snow again, anytime, and April could be very chilly, but right now it does not seem that way.

Cara said...

I am currently watching Oprah's Australian adventure and wondering why on earth your friends ever left such a beautiful place to come to the US! You should check out her site to plan some of your Aussie adventure. http://www.oprah.com/packages/oprahs-ultimate-australian-adventure.html