Thursday, March 17, 2011

New House



I saw the house today for the first time, when we went to meet the realtor, put down our 'earnest' money, and sign the paperwork.

It has a portico at the side door and you step into a entrance way. The staircase is to your left. If you go straight back you find a remodeled bathroom, a huge room with a beautiful clawfoot tub. There is one bedroom on the first floor, right next to the bathroom. The kitchen is a large eat in kitchen with Corrian counter tops. It is to the left as you stand in the entrance way. To your right is a set of french doors which lead into a livingroom. If you open the french doors on the other side, there is a small library with a fireplace and glass fronted book cases. There is also a small room with a ceramic tile floor that would be an awfully nice room for exercise equipment. Except for the kitchen, the downstairs is hardwood floor which we will refinish. Upstairs there are three more bedrooms, plus a large room with (believe it or not) a little kitchenette. It would make a nice office/study. It is bright and you could make yourself a cup of tea or coffee while you study. It would be nice to have a small dorm refrigerator there. There is also a large bathroom (also remodeled) on the second floor. On the third floor there are two more bedrooms. Interestingly enough, the place has all sorts of interesting nooks and cubbies and tiny little rooms that are too big for closets but too small for bedrooms. The second and third floors are carpeted in berber carpet.

It is very dirty.

As Tim and the realtor talked downstairs, I roamed through this house and I was delighted. I could see us in this house. I could see our things in this house. I was thrilled with this house. I came downstairs and Tim said, "So what do you think?" He was afraid that I'd be turned off by all the dirt. I looked at him and said, "I love this. I really love this house." And he was pleased.

We've never had a house that was just ours. We moved into his house. He put a second floor on it, and it was nice, but really, it was not 'my' house. We were happy here, though. But this new house? It is ours. Truly ours. I looked at the old apple trees along the back of the lot, past what was a carriage house, and later became a garage. There a big old trees in the back yard.

This house is magic. I'm so excited about this, I cannot tell you.

20 comments:

Mikey said...

I'm excited for you!! Hopefully soon we'll get to see pictures of it, especially the tub. I once rented a place that had a clawfoot tub and I LOVED it. Nothing compares to soaking in one.

Kelly said...

It sounds magical. I love nooks and crannies. (and I'm not talking English muffins)

Share photos when you can!

A Novel Woman said...

Oh, I thought this was an investment property and you were going to rent it out. This is YOUR house, your HOME. Well, that IS exciting!!

Karen said...

It sounds wonderful! You guys will enjoy truly making it your own. Congrats!

steviewren said...

So you guys will live in this one, not rent it?

I love old houses with character. From your description, I can see why you would love this one.

Mrs.Spit said...

When we walked into our house, it was like the house exhaled, and said "welcome home. I've been waiting for you." I don't know how to explain it, but there it is. It's a rare and magical feeling, and I don't think I know 2 people who deserve it more.

Anonymous said...

And I am so excited for you too Deb. I had no idea this was in the wind. You will have such fun really making it yours and Tim's. It will take a while but you will really enjoy the journey I am sure. I look forward to seeing photos. It sounds as though it has 'history'. I love that. All the very best with it Love Barb

Scotty said...

I'm happy for both of you - here's hoping you get many years of joy there.
:-)

jeanie said...

How much fun!!

Bob said...

I am so pleased for you and Tim! This will be great for y'all (that's southern plural for you). Enjoy!

BUSH BABE said...

Squeeeeeeee!!!!!
WONDERFUL... I don't know if I need photos, I feel like I was there with you as you walked through. Of course I still want to see them (it is ME we are talking about) but when you are ready. I love it. And I love that you love it. Hugs to Tim - and tell him 'bloody well done'!!
:-)
BB

Lydia said...

I am so happy for you both! This is a much different place than where you were (was it only?) a couple of years ago -- job issues, etc.

Blessings to both of you and on your new home!

Pencil Writer said...

It sounds delightful! You didn't mention fireplaces. Does it NOT have fireplaces--to make you all cozy in the winter?

When can we expect pictures? Before and after pictures?

So excited for you!

Pam said...

Reading this description of the house I"m excited, too!!!! It does sound magical with all the nooks and crannies!!!

nancyspoint said...

Debby, This sounds like the house of your dreams. What a delightful way you share this. I can practically see you both smiling! Good luck!!

Debby said...

There is a fireplace in the library. There probably was at least one fireplace upstairs, but it is has been walled up.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

You will be moving closer to me :-)

Mary Paddock said...

Wonderful Deb! Looking forward to the pictures and reading about the adventures of readying it to be a home.

Roland said...

I'm excited for you!

PaintedPromise said...

YAY for Debbie and Tim!!!!