Saturday, March 12, 2011

Giving up coffee

Yesterday, I got up and man, I was a tired puppy. I had not gone to bed until after midnight, and I was having trouble getting myself going. I lay in bed and silently whimpered to myself about being tired, but then finally I got myself up and going. I wanted to get to class early. It was our teacher's birthday. Someone was bringing cupcakes. We had all decided to wrap our homework papers on Therapeutic Groups, and I was bringing wrapping paper.

I said to myself, "Self, you'll have to skip your coffee this morning. Just grab a cup on the way in," and so I got ready and headed out.

Driving to school, I recognized a car. It was a couple of young kids that I'd seen on campus. I watched them turn up a side road, and once again, I thought to myself, "Self, you are getting to school early, and this is an opportunity to find a new way to school." And so I also turned left and followed their car. I was right. It was a twisty road, up a hill, unlikely to be affected by flooding ever. However, it was covered with drifting snow. I drove along slowly and carefully. I lost track of my friends. Finally, however, I got to the intersection, turned left once again...and then realized that the road I was on was not the road I thought it was. There was a moment of panic (after all, I had the wrapping paper) but then I took a deep breath and scanned my surroundings from the hillside, figured out where I was in relationship to where I needed to be, and got myself there.

"Better not stop for coffee," I thought. And I made the supreme sacrifice: I drove past the convenience store. "I'll get my coffee on first break."

First break came, and one of the kids that I am coleading a group with came over to discuss our project (we are presenting a simulation of what it is like for a kid to be sensorily defensive). We've all been so busy that we just don't have time to meet. So we had a little meeting right there.

Class was over at noon, and I hightailed it out of there to get home and make lunch for Tim before he left for his second shift job. Two days a week I am home to prepare him a lunch. The previous day, he had sighed as he dug in, and said, "You are the best cook. I really miss being fed," and I felt bad. He's so good and patient, and really, he doesn't complain. But I'd made a vow that when I can cook for him, I will cook his favorites. So that day, I was headed home to cook. There was no time to make coffee, because just a few minutes later, I was headed out the door to start work at 2PM.

By the time, I got to work, I was craving me some caffeine. Ooooh. It 'twar bad. Ike said, "Well, run on back and get a cup. I just made a fresh pot in the break room." And so I hied myself back. Only to find that we were out of styrofoam cups. And who does not think to have her own cup at work like everyone else? Me. That's who.

At that point I decided that the powers that be had decided 'no caffeine for me', and I trudged out to the register wondering what I had done to anger the caffeine gods. It was a long night, but Gary stopped by. He cited the health benefits of giving up caffeine. I listened interestedly. "What do you drink in the morning?" I asked. "Juice," he answered.

I've been thinking about it. I gave up cigarettes years ago. I gave up carbonated beverages too. I wondered what it would be like to give up caffeine. I already had a good start. I'd gone all day without my customary cup.

I came home, washed a few dishes, headed straight for bed. When I woke up this morning, I pondered the whole idea of giving up coffee once more.

For about 30 seconds.

MMMMMmmmmm. Coffee? How I do so love thee in the morning...

14 comments:

Donna said...

These days there are more health benefits from drinking coffee than there are from giving it up.

Twain12 said...

lol...i love my cup of coffee in the morning and i don't feel guilty

Cara Powers said...

If I come back from Korea and there is no coffee in the house, I will dieeeeeeeeeeee! I've been dreaming about waking up in the morning to a freshly made cappucino. And pepperoni rolls, but typically not at the same time or in the same dream.

A Novel Woman said...

I had to give up coffee for a heart test last year. The first day was a walk in the park, but the second day? I felt like I had the flu! Pounding headaches, sweats, full withdrawal like I was giving up crack (not that I'd know what giving up crack is like, but I watch Intervention and that's what I imagined it felt like.) I realized how addicted I was, so I have it up completely.

For about 2 weeks.

Now I've cut the amount I drink in half. Except on Saturdays. Hey, look! It's Saturday!

And Donna is right. Moderate amounts of coffee are good for us. Now pass the cream and the morning paper please.

Kelly said...

I gave up my coffee years ago, but not my caffeine. I have tea every afternoon and sometimes in the morning. I find something comforting about the process of brewing tea. That's not to say I don't indulge in a fancy latte or cappucino when presented with the opportunity.

Bill of Wasilla said...

You had me really worried there fpr a moment. I thought, "the lady follows some kids on a wild goose chase and gives up one of life's greatest daily pleasures."

Jayne said...

I don't do coffee but I often go without my hourly intake of black tea.
Then I shake myself and get back on track *snort*

jeanie said...

I once gave up coffee - and discovered that Jeanie without coffee = Jeanie with migraine. Just another trigger.

However, since then I have limited the intake. I am a cup of tea and then 2 cups of coffee during the morning, 1 cup during the afternoon (sometimes miss this one) and 1 cup in the evening.

Mikey said...

I can't give up coffee. I mean really, they say so much is bad for us. I gotta have my coffee. Plus, I wouldn't function properly till noon if I didn't have it.

Mary Paddock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Paddock said...

Over the years, I've gradually cut my coffee down to a couple of cups a day. This was not something I did on purpose--it evolved this way. During the same window in time, my body began demanding an earlier bed time. I suspect the two are connected.

But those two cups? Dead-important. Especially the one in the morning. It isn't just the caffeine--it's the ritual, the comfort, the sense of sanity it provides. If there is hot coffee brewing somewhere in the world, then it can't be all bad such a bad place.

Hal Johnson said...

When I did the night school thing in the eighties, classes ran from seven until ten in the evening, and caffeine was mandatory during work days. But, I found that tea worked a lot better in a way, because it would wake me up but still let me get to sleep that night. Not so with coffee. I like coffee a lot, but more than two cups a day, and the insomnia switch gets banged to the on position.

BUSH BABE said...

Heavens... I was all concerned too. I have to admit it is one of my vices. I heart coffee. And I need to cut down. Just waiting for The Powers That Be to send me a REALLY big message. Hints just aren;t doin' the trick!
:-)
BB

Brianna said...

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Debby giving up her coffee is one of the signs that Hell is freezing over, LOL! :)