Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tractor Supply

Today, at the Tractor Supply, one of our regulars came in. He's a funny charactor, and talks to everyone, elderly fellow with a big white beard. Never saw him in a bad mood in my life. Anyways, he came in today, and I called out, "How's it going today?" and he walked over. He looked me square in the eye and said, "My house burnt down yesterday. We lost everything. I lost my two dogs." And he had tears in his eyes.

"Dear God!" I said. "You're the house up on Hatch Run? I drove home last night after work, and I could smell that there had been a fire. I did not see where it was. Tim said he'd driven off the hill early that morning, and the road was closed. He knew it was a bad fire. I'm so sorry. I didn't know it was you folks."

He said, "Yep. We were in bed. My daughter woke up. She said it felt like someone shook her awake. She thought it was her mother. She rolled over and there was no one there. She lay there a couple minutes puzzled, but finally got up to figure out what was going on, and she walked into the livingroom and the woodstove was on fire. If it was not for her screaming, I don't think we'd have gotten out in time. She can't get over that feeling that someone had shaken her awake."

I said, "I've no doubt that Someone did shake her awake." He grinned a little, very unlike himself, and headed to the back of the store. He needed dog food and a bowl for the one dog that he managed to save.

I paged the manager. "Mark," I said, "we got a guy in here that had a house fire. He lost everything. Can we help him out?" and Mark immediately said, "Is it Gary -------? I heard. I want to talk to him," and off he went. Mark gave him a gift card, and a discount, just like that.

I love that I work for a store that is so quick to take care of its customers. Really.

11 comments:

KarenTX said...

How nice for him to do that. Coming from a small town, I've seen generosity time after time. My heart goes out to them for the loss of their home and their pets, but so glad they were able to get out and save one.

Mikey said...

I feel so bad for him! Your stories touch me completely. I'm glad you work for such a great place.
OT, you know you can compile these Tractor Supply posts and make a book out of it. They have programs online that do it for you. I think you should do that. Publish the compilation on Kindle. Seriously. Please?

Paula said...

I'm so sorry for that family but so nice of Tractor Supply to help them out.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Amazing story. Three months ago, I would have been inclined to dismiss the shaking feeling as just one of those fortunate coincidences.

Glad they got out, but sorry about the dogs, the house, the belongs and the pictures.

Yes, you work for a good store.

I would say something about writing a book but you already know that.

Jayne said...

I feel dreadful for that poor man but you and Tractor Supply are good souls xxx

Lydia said...

You never know when angels might come to visit. Thank God they made it, and thank God for good souls who help their neighbors.

BUSH BABE said...

Wow. That's wonderful - real country community support there. We are feeling a lot of that over here - and Lord knows, they need it in most corners of my beautiful battered state at the moment!

I second Mikey's idea. But like Bill, you already know we think you should be in bookstores.
:-)
BB

Country Girl said...

Hi, Debby. I came via Bush Babe and am glad of it. Your story was so simple and touching. Left me with goose bumps.

Kelly said...

This just breaks my heart!! Yes, Someone woke her up. I definitely believe that.

Debby said...

Bill ~ it's a difference in perception. If you believe in God, nothing is a coincidence. If you don't, everything is. I understand that not everyone believes. I can't make you understand why I do any more than you can make me understand why you don't.

PaintedPromise said...

COINCIDENCE IS JUST GOD'S WAS OF BEING ANONYMOUS - heard that once and yeah... i believe!!!

so sorry for this man to lose his dogs! stuff is stuff but dogs is family...