Thursday, February 24, 2011

Getting into the Grandma Groove.

Yesterday, I stopped to pick up milk on the way home from the store. I found myself stopped dead in the middle of the store to look at children's books. When I saw "The Wind in the Willows" I could not NOT buy it. I remembered reading it to our children, everyone freshly washed and sprawled in the middle of our bed listening to the story before bedtime.

I do not know what the future holds for our William. I don't know what kind of a little boy he will turn into, but I do know that his grandma will give him the gift of words, the same gift that she gave to her own children.

Walking out of the store with my two gallons of milk and my book, I thought happy thoughts. For his first Christmas, he will get a bookshelf for his room from his Grandma and Grandpa. And it will be full of books collected one at a time, through the year. Some of them will be old stories. Some of them will be new stories. But there will be lots of stories. And there just might come the day, when once again, I have a freshly bathed little boy sitting in the middle of my bed listening to a story before he is tucked into bed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely picture. You will offer him one of life's greatest gifts - and if he accepts - what a great world will open up for him. He will never be alone or bored. Go and enjoy, Grandma and Grandpa! Barb

A Novel Woman said...

I kept all the books I read to my kids, in fact, there's a huge carton of them in the basement. I even read all the Harry Potter books to my kids, starting just as they were on the cusp of their teen years. The gift of stories, especially when you take the time to read aloud, really is the best gift you can give a child.

Anonymous said...

Books open your mind to the whole world and you can travel anywhere you want through books. Learning to love books at an early age is a blessing in later years.

Kelly said...

A wonderful gift to give!! I'm afraid I haven't been nearly as good about giving that one to my granddaughter as I did to my own kids. Never too late to remedy that, I guess.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Do you like to go to yard sales? Through the years I have found gently used children books and videos at yard sales.

Anonymous said...

I still have several books from Buddy's childhood. So I guess he will have both his Grandmas reading to him but what a lovely picture you paint with words. I can't do that so I pray he inherits that talent from you!
Our world certainly has changed with William's birth. Love from The other Grandma Nancy

Jayne said...

Psst, Debby!
*whispers*
You'll have to have a bookcase with special William books at your house, too, for when you have that gorgeous little man sleep over ;)

Pam said...

Love Wind in the Willows!!! When I was a kid, my kids and my grandsons. Have a copy here. I always loved Ratty and Moley, not to mention Mr. Toad!

My 11 and 13-year-old grandsons live with me. Over the years I've bought them a virtual library of Children's books in addition to the ones I had. We've gone from Pooh and Goodnight Moon to Diary of a Wimpy Kid (the series), Harry Potter, the Magic Tree House collection and The Rick Riordan (Lightening Thief) series.

The 11 year old has inherited his mother and my reading gene. We're all voracious readers.

BUSH BABE said...

I love this mental image... and I can totally see the two of you sharing many special moments just like that!

BB