Monday, February 14, 2011

Extremes

I can count the number of them that I've had since beginning work on just one hand. Today I had a horrible customer. Angry, rude, lashing out. It was my fault, really. I rang up his things, and did not notice the clearance tag. When he pointed it out, I corrected it immediately, apologizing. He glared. GLARED. Surprised, I looked back. He continued to glare. I apologized again, and he began to complain. I said, "You're not going to let me off the hook for this?" in a light sort of way, and he snarled "No. I am not. Every damn time I come in here, it's something. I always have a problem each and every time I come in here!" and he was very angry, very disgusted. I was amazed at the level of anger for a mistake that was corrected immediately. I said, "Well, that's the first I've ever heard a customer say that. Tractor Supply is noted for our customer service," and I met his gaze directly. He continued to complain. "You don't have any cold weather clothing." I said, "We are closing out our winter line, and bringing in the spring clothes." All stores do that here. I don't know why he was so surprised at that. He continued to complain hotly, and grabbed his bag, storming out of the store. "Wow," I thought, looking after him. He was one angry man. Why are people like that?

But before the night was done, I had a couple come in. "Happy Valentine's Day," I sang out. "Did you get the ring you wanted?" The wife was quite taken with a ring, and she stuck advertisements for that ring all over the place in the days preceding Valentine's Day (her husband rolled his eyes and said, "She even GLUED one inside my hat!") The wife laughed and extended her hand so that I could admire her ring. "Beautiful!" I said. "So did you go out for dinner?" And the wife said, "Oh, yes. We went out for dinner at the restaurant we went to for our first date, and we danced in the parking lot to 'our song'...almost froze our butts off!.... and then we sipped wine and fed each other chocolate in the car in the Tractor Supply, because once we were going to have a romantic weekend. We were headed to Erie, but we stopped into Tractor Supply and we ended up buying chickens instead. I don't know what possessed us, but we bought chickens and we went home." She sighed. "I love my chickens. I love my kids. I even love this husband of mine." And unabashedly, the husband looked down at his wife and said, "I'm a happy man. I finally found a woman who can put up with me." It really was delightful. "Well," I said, "it sure does seem like I'm talking to two of the luckiest people in this world." And they both said, "How funny! That's what we were telling each other in the car!"

Funny, isn't it? People are a real mixed bag...

Oh. And the bone scan came back clear.

16 comments:

WhiteStone said...

So glad to hear your scan news! Glad, indeed!

Pencil Writer said...

Awesome!

rhubarbwhine said...

Oh gosh, rude people just take the cake :(

You know the problem is his (and him), don't you? Yes, of course you do. Glad he didn't sour your day too much. x

Brianna said...

Oh gosh, if I had a penny for every rude person that came through my line at various retail jobs... well, you catch my drift! ;) Luckily, it IS a mixed bag with customers, and that's what keeps me from crying or losing my mind, LOL! :)

Mary Paddock said...

In situations like that, where someone refuses to be cheered or let you off the hook, you have to know that there is something else going on with them.

On the other hand, the story about the couple who were so in love was delightful. I love to see that. :)

Bob said...

Yep, Mary is exactly right. Lots more going on with that guy than no winter clothes at Tractor Supply.

Scan is clear! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

quid said...

Great contrast in stories. Good onya for the bone scan, Debby!

Redlefty said...

Outstanding on the bone scan!

Angry man has a story, too. Wonder what it is?

Debby said...

Angry people seldom tell their stories. Their anger isolates them. Because they are mad at the world, they do not interact with it. They grab their stories, and clutch them close, because the rest of us (disappointments that we are) are unworthy to know the stories. If they do tell them, more often than not, they are wielding their stories like weapons.

Cynthia said...

Wonderful news on the bone scan!

Anonymous said...

Praise God for the good MRI and scan results!!He's got a lot, lot more for you to do , Woman!!
LOve, Judy

Kelly said...

Great news about the scan!!

jeanie said...

Hallelujah about the bone scan - and love - and beautiful people.

Jayne said...

Yay on the bone scan!!!
Ignore the grump; he was crappy before he entered the store and was looking for something to grump about, you just happened to be the verbal punching bag.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Good news on the bone scan!

R Phillips said...

YAY!!! That's great news!