Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Wonder as I Wander

The tree is down. I'm ready to haul the things back into the attic for another year. I wonder about next year, about how life will be next Christmas, when there is a grandchild. Buddy and Brianna are moved back to the area. Dylan is bringing his girlfriend home this weekend. Brittany is the first girl that he has brought home for us to meet. Cara will be back from Korea. Tim's job is, surprisingly, looking secure for the foreseeable future. What will the year bring? Next Christmas, I'll have one more semester to go before I graduate. So will Cara, strange to think. I pack these ornaments up trying to imagine the woman I'll be when I unpack them next year, the family we'll be next year, when we decorate once again.

Life's funny like that, isn't it? I pack up the boxes of ornaments collected through the years, smiling at the memories evoked, yet, I can't help looking forward to next year at the same time. Today's one of those strange days. Caught between looking back and looking forward, like Janus. I know, at some point, I need to come back to the present, but it's been a pleasant sort of day wandering in my mind.

Oh, and I got my laundry and ironing done, too.

Yeah. I'm awesome.

6 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Tucked away my Christmas, too, for another year. And my mind also wandered to next year and wondered. Bless you, Debby. Bless you and all your family this coming year.

quid said...

Yeah, you are.


I love where you're coming from, Debby, but don't make this year fly by! Let's savor it. Ahh. The true optimist.

quid

Brianna said...

You too? I had my own Janus moment as we were putting up our tree this year. All I know is I can't wait to find out what it's going to be like! However, I agree with Quid, the years fly by fast enough already. I just want to savor everything, enjoy it while it lasts!

steviewren said...

You are awesome.

Come help me clean out closets. I need someone to crack the whip and make me keep working. Otherwise, I'm apt to wander away and putter the day away. 'Cause I'm awesome in that way....as a putterer.

Hal Johnson said...

I think you're awesome too, Debby.

Steve Brewer told me that he and his wife Kelly found it liberating to get rid of much of their "stuff" gathered over the years once the empty nest stage came. My problem is that every item I re-discover takes me back in time, and I end up spending a lot more time daydreaming than dealing with the stuff.

Kelly said...

I try not to think too far ahead. Yes, let's just take it a day at a time.

...and yes, you're pretty awesome!