Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A Reminder

Yesterday, I was going through my old e-mails, looking for one which had addresses that I needed, for another which had a phone number I needed. I was deleting a bunch of old e-mails. I do that very seldom, really, and so there was tons of stuff there to get rid of. As I was repeatedly hitting the 'delete' button, my finger twitched and then stopped, and I looked at my friend's name. Then the date. The e-mail was six weeks old. Only six weeks. Within days, my friend would be diagnosed with a brain tumor.

I thought of us, and summer, and how three of us had gone somewhere. I can't even remember where, but we'd had such a nice time we decided not to go home, and we'd met, and we'd walked, and talked as we walked, laughing heartily under starry skies. I am lucky to live in a place where three women can walk the streets at night laughing their middle aged hind-ends off. I am lucky to find two other people in this world who also call this 'entertainment'. These two friends were very kind to me when I was ill, and now, shockingly, suddenly, the shoe is on the other foot. My friend has had surgery, and she will have chemo and radiation every day.

My finger paused over Kathy's previous e-mail to me, a cheerful forward about the power of women friends, and my eyes water a little. Just six weeks ago, I received this e-mail and read it and smiled a little and thought no more about it. Now, I cannot bring myself to delete it, and I think how thrilled I would be to receive one of her cheerful little forwards now.

It's a confusing time for me, personally, right now. A lot going on (I do not blog everything, believe it or not). But in the middle of this time, there is my friend. I grieve for her, but I also celebrate her tenancity, because God love her, she's defying the odds. What is the point of this blog post? I don't know, not for certain. What I do know is that life changes. It changes quickly. Sometimes it changes on a dime. We should be kind to one another.

7 comments:

Donna said...

It seems I can hardly turn around without hearing (or reading) about someone else with cancer. It's making a brutal winter even more depressing. I hate cancer. But then, who doesn't?

Lydia said...

Debby, you are so right -- it seems that the biggest changes in my life happened in 15 minutes or less. Just suddenly, a call, a realization, whatever, and everything is different.

I know you will be there for your friend, she is fortunate to have you!

PS My son and I just returned from 2 beautiful weeks in Spain. We had the best vacation in memory, but I am SO GLAD to be home. There is something about sleeping on clean sheets in your own bed, I don't take it for granted.

Bill of Wasilla said...

I hear you. Yes, I do.

My best to your friend.

Mary Paddock said...

"Sometimes it changes on a dime. We should be kind to one another."

Always and without fail.

Scotty said...

We should be kind to one another.

Such a simple philosophy and one that would make the world a better place - it's a pity that not everyone subscribes to it.

Bob said...

Kindness is not one bit overrated!

PaintedPromise said...

Deb my heart goes out to you and your friend. big hugs!!!!