Friday, January 7, 2011

Lennie's Diary.

Something that has always fascinated me is time. The concept that each life contains 'x' amount of years, and that each one of these years has 365 days (unless it's a leap year). The idea that each year has 12 months. That each month is made up of days. I have days that are important in my life. September 18. September 8. January 19. May 21. April 21. October 6th. May 22. September 12. And so on, and so on, and so on. And the cool thing is that these days have been lived before. There have been other Septermber 18, and September 8th, and January 19, and May 21. April 21, etc. My days have been the days of others. In other lifetimes, those days have belonged to others. Those who have come before me. Those who will come after me.

Does this make sense? I think sometimes these things only make sense to me, in my world of daydreaming and pondering.

If I see a old picture of people, and maybe there is a clock in the back ground, I find myself stopping dead to check what time it was when the picture was taken. There is an abandoned old gas station in a community not far from us. It's chock a block full of junk, but you can see through the dusty glass front, that there is a calendar hanging on a back wall. I always want to stop and peer in the window. What year is it? What month is it? Is there writing on the calendar? Diaries are neat, and someday, I imagine blogs will be a small glimpse of another time. Anyhow, these small moments were captured, for a moment, and then time rolled on, as time does. When the picture was taken it was 'now'. Looking at the picture now, I'm seeing 'then'. Someone sat down to pen a few words, to capture the moment, and all these years later, I'm seeing history.

Anyways, for this reason, I love WhiteStone's new blog. 'Lennie's Diary' is a small notebook in which, faithfully, daily, WhiteStone's grandfather in law, Lennie, used a few words to capture his day. It's neat that in 1898, January 5th fell on a Wednesday, just as it does in 2011. Lennie sums up his day as: "Slid on hill (Lennie loved sled riding), Messer had a scrap (one of his friends had a fight), hot time (what a great day!) " Just a day in the life of a high spirited 17 year old boy living in Wakefield, Nebraska.

You can follow along too, if you are so inclined. WhiteStone and Lennie won't mind at all, I bet.

7 comments:

Redlefty said...

I go so far as to ponder the latest physics theories that seem to mathematically hint that our understanding of time is totally whacked, and that all of existence may be happening simultaneously, across multiple universes.

Hopefully, in one of those universes, my comment here made sense! :)

Debby said...

I don't ponder physics. I really don't ponder physics at all. Redlefty, I'm of a mind that just the fact that you do ponder physics puts you in a different universe already. At least from me.

WhiteStone said...

I'd like to ponder physics. I once tried to decipher what Einstein's theory of relativity meant and finally got my mind around it...for all of 5 minutes. Then it disappeared again. To go beyond his theory and think of today's theories of time and space...well, I just figure I'll figure all that out when I leave here and enter into my eternal life there. "Time" is fascinating, for sure!

BTW, thanks for pointing your readers to Lennie's diary. Tomorrow's post is a doozie. A neat little surprise of which I was unaware until I googled something.

Twain12 said...

thanks for the link of the blog...i love the history of ordinary people...very facinating

BUSH BABE said...

How fabulous - what a wonderful idea!!
You KNOW how I adore old stuff and old stories...
:-)
BB

Brianna said...

I try to ponder physics, and I never end up understanding anything... it just gives me a headache! Went over and read Lenny's Diary, very cool that someone would do that. Put it online, I mean. Glimpses into someone else's life fascinate me, and if that someone else happens to have lived over 100 years ago, that just makes it all the better! :)

Deb C. said...

Great post Debby. I am fascinated by time as well. It never occurred to me until recently that we live the month/day of our death each year. For some reason I don't find that morbid at all. When I look at old black and white photos, I always stop to imagine what their "now" looked like in color. I once visited a museum in the very small city in Maine where I grew up. One of the items was a phone booth and I was able to look up the phone number for both sets of grandparents. To be able to thumb through the phone book that was in use when my parents were just kids was a fun experience. I could go on and on...