Thursday, January 13, 2011

Just Another Day

You know, a strange thing happened tonight. I was at work, and a local minister happened in, and I greeted him, and of course we blabbed, because that's what I do, and he said, "Do you remember what I told you at church?" and I had to admit that I didn't. And he said, "I told you that God was going to use you for something important." Surprised, I stopped. Yes. I did remember that he had said that, immediately. I remember that I was just as surprised the first time that I heard it as I was the second time that I heard it, and I think that it is a strange thing that someone would have more faith in me than I have in myself. I thought about that during the course of the night, what it would be like to understand what my God's purpose for me actually was. That would be quite a thing, wouldn't it? I don't know what God's got in store for me, but I do feel that I am on the way to where I'm supposed to be. Important? I don't know about that part, but I know He's at work. It gave me a pleasant thing to think on for the night, wondering what God might mean for me to do.

A lady came in tonight with her little grandson, and, gees, he was just as cute as a button, and a little chatterbox too. His grandmother was mad though. Really mad. She'd come in with a question about dog food, and one of the guys had walked over with her to answer her questions, and to point out several brands which might be helpful to her situation. She complained to me 'that he had not helped her load the bag into the shopping cart.' I was a little surprised at her level of anger, but I also know for a fact that everyone in our store is very helpful. That's what we are known for. I said, "Well, I guess that in his defense, men and women work shoulder to shoulder in this store. We have women who come in this store and heft feed like it's nothing at all. The guys are used to that. If you just grabbed a bag of dog food, no one would have given it a second thought. Anyone would be happy to assist you, but not everyone needs or wants assistance. I'm sure that he simply didn't know you expected help." She looked at me, surprised and still pretty mad. I said, "I'll help you load it into your cart though," and she snapped, "I don't expect you to do that. You're a woman." I said, "Yes, but like I said, we all work together." I picked up the bag of dog food and headed to her car, wondering where the heck she'd been during the '60s.

I was talking with a friend who'd stopped in to pick up a few toys for her grandson's birthday. We have quite a sale to move the last of the Christmas toys. She asked when I went back to school, and I told her next week, Tuesday. The next customer said, "Did I hear you right? Do you go to school?" and I said, "Yes." She asked where, and I told her at the community college. "Good for you!" she exclaimed. She then said, "I always wanted to go back to school but I'm too old." I looked at her. She looked younger than me. I said, "You're not too old. I'm 53." (and I will be for three more months, so you all just hush.) She looked at me closely, and she was surprised. She asked me what I was studying, and I told her. "That's a good field," she said. I bagged up her stuff, and told her, "Just do it!" and she smiled in a thinking sort of way. That would be darn cool to see her walking around campus next semester.

6 comments:

Bob said...

I love what the minister said. God uses all of us, I believe, and it's always good to get a reminder of that.

Anonymous said...

You never know who you may prove to be very important to. You may never know about it.

Debby said...

The thing that I love to think on the very most is that what is important in the eyes of the world, and what is important to God are two different things altogether, and the idea that you can wake up each day and wonder what you are doing for God this day, what He has in store for you on this day, what important work he has for you to do...it makes one mindful to look about yourself, to see need, to address need. You find yourself looking for places and times to be used by God. And yes...you might find that you've done your most important work without even being aware of it.

Kelly said...

Yes, I think often we are used by God without ever being aware of the fact.

As for the lady and the dogfood... there must have been some underlying factor causing her anger. Geez. I've hefted more than my share of 50 pound bags of food/seed. (and still do)

WhiteStone said...

Jesus commanded us to love God and to love one another. That's always a reminder to me that every encounter with another human being is to be a loving one. Being a helper and encourager is a great way to love others.

And your pointing out to me on my blog that Hall's Vegetable Sicilian hair renewer might be just the ticket for my next chemo hair scenario...well, that just gave me the laugh of the day. My chemo brain hadn't even clicked on that possibility. I'm still laughing over it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Deb
I get your point about the lady and the feed. But as someone who has had some physical problems at times I know I do really appreciate it when someone asks if I would like a little help to lift or carry something for me. And I make sure I show my appreciation warmly.
Also, as one who lived throught the fifties, sixties and seventies etc with feeling (and who fortunately is still able to remember those times - and women's struggle for recogition!) I know how far we have come. However I think some of the sisterhood did many a disservice when they were often a great deal more than discourteous when offered little (amd sometimes big) courtesies interpreting it as a putdown.
We always have to remember to approach one another with an open, friendly, and yes, a courteous attitude. Perhaps the grandma was not giving off 'good vibes' with her anger - or she may have unexpressed problems. She should have said "Do you mind" and "thankyou" and her anger and unhappiness may have diminished a lttle there and then.
Courtesy and consideration are, after all, the glue of civilisation embodied in 'Love one another'.
The struggle for equality of all people may never end, but if we set the good example to others, who knows who may learn by our example? Perhaps that may be one of God's purposes for us in life?
Hope all is going well with Brianna Love Barb