Saturday, January 1, 2011

It's not Times Square, but...

We went out for supper last night, and sat next to the most awful family ever. The children were old enough to understand how to behave but did not. The mother was ill tempered, at one point telling the father who was trying to correct his son, "All you'll do is p*** him off. Keep it up." Yes. I know that there are disorders which lead to acting out in public, but watching the parents' ineffective attempts to handle the children, I don't believe this was one of them. The parents were extremely rude. To the waitress. To each other. The mother sent her meal back, and then complained because her family finished eating before she did. The little girl stood up in her chair and began to scream 'DONE! DONE! DONE!' until the mother gave up and got a box for the rest of her meal, so that they could leave. The husband was very cranky at a misunderstanding about his meal. The gist of the misunderstanding seems to be that he did not want his side dishes on the plate with the entree. He wanted them in their own little bowls. The waitress thought he did not want them. Period. It was probably hard to hear over the children who spent most of the time before the food came kicking each other under the table and screaming to their parents about being kicked (even as they kicked the other back). By the time they left, the mother was calling her children darling and honey. The father simply left them. Everyone in our corner of the restaurant was staring in amazement.

At the restaurant, we saw a pastor friend and his wife, and visited. They'd spent the day trimming goat feet, and were having a quiet New Year's Eve supper and then heading home to comfortable chairs in front of the TV. I saw a woman who'd done chemo at the same time as me. Her blonde wavy hair looked beautiful, and I told her so. We saw neighbors from one of the houses downtown, out with their grandaughter who has grown a lot since I saw her last summer. We visited for a moment too.

Don't laugh, but we came home and curled up on the couch. I was working at a crossword puzzle as Tim watched "Pale Rider". Tim loves Clint Eastwood. Major shocker to me. After 13 years of marriage, I didn't know this. So he watched his movie, and I worked on the puzzle. And then, about 10, we went to bed. We are in the middle of a warm up here. Mikey and Susan are freezing their appendages off in Arizona, and we have let the woodfire go out in Pennsylvania. It was 52 degrees. The rain pelted the roof, and the thunder rumbled, and I thought about rains in Australia. I fell asleep dreaming of walking through chest deep water as large Australian sized snakes swam past looking for higher ground. Thanks for that visual, BB. *shudder*

Today, it is a quiet day. I made a big pot of cream of potato soup. Buddy and Brianna have come back, and we will probably see them today. Cara and Taylor stayed up to bring the New Year in, and are not up yet. Tim is working on a project in his garage, installing the eight foot lights that he'd requested a couple years back, and Dylan and I had bought them for him. So people will wander in and out, and have a bowl of soup when it strikes them. I will work on a puzzle, and visit with my family.

And you know what? I'm good with that.

12 comments:

Caroline said...

I don't understand people like that. Poor parenting is a result of poor parenting. The children will grow up just like their parents. How sad.

But Happy New Year!

MuseSwings said...

Happy New Year dear Bloggyfriend!!! I've had dinner with that same family several times. Amazing how dysfunctional some people are - you know they're 1000 times worse at home. May your New Year be a blessed one!

Twain12 said...

Happy New Year..sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day

jeanie said...

Hey Deb - the disorder may have been being related to them?

Mikey said...

Mmm, potato soup sounds good! I love just having it simmering and people help themselves. THAT'S the way to cook!
My appendages are still freezing. At least it's getting above 40 during the day today! Yippee!!

BUSH BABE said...

Sounds much more pleasant in than out!! What a horror family... such a shame and waste.

My best to you and yours as 2011 kicks off... it's been a bit adventurous at our place already. If the rest of 2011 follows in the same vein, I may need reinforcements!
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

Been awhile since I've thought about trimming goat feet. No, really... we use to have goats! Never my chore, fortunately.

Sorry your dinner out got ruined that way, but sounds like it turned out to be quite a nice New Year's.

Bob said...

Trimming goat feet. No, not something I have done!

Happy, Happy New Year, Debby. Thanks for your entertaining posts.

Jayne said...

Happy New Year :) xxx

Donna said...

Happy New Year.

steviewren said...

My Texas kids were with me this past week...all 8 of them. Don't tell, but I thought I might die from the chaos that goes with 6 kids 10 and under. They left for home this morning. Now it's too quiet. I just can't be happy can I?

Enjoy your family!

RedWifey said...

Happy New Year, Debby!!!