Wednesday, December 22, 2010

'Tis the season...

Yesterday, I went Christmas shopping with Cara. When you have a kid as particular about her clothes as Cara, you do NOT want to buy her clothes for Christmas. Well. Not clothes of your own choosing, anyway. If I think something is cute, you can bet the ranch on the fact that Cara will think it's awful. So shopping went like this: "I really need a book to study for the GRE." (This while we are standing in the middle of Waldenbook, coincidently, right in front of the GRE study guides.) I reach down for one. Cara says, "Not that one. The Barron one. And I'd like a Korean dictionary." Then I said, "Leave the store please," and then I picked out the books and took them to the register. Then it was on to clothes shopping. I'd pick something out and her little lip would curl. "No, Mom. Nobody wears something like that." I look bewilderedly about me. I am surrounded by people that are wearing stuff just like that. I did pick one little outfit for her. I got a gift receipt. I'm sure she'll take it back. And then we were supposed to meet at Aeropostale, but I ran into someone I knew, and blabbed for a minute. I also ducked into a store to check on something. By the time that I got to Aeropostale, she was not there. So I shopped around, and I saw a hoodie that made me think of her right away, so I bought it. Without her permission. I was waiting patiently in front of the store for her to come back, and she finally did, carrying coffees for the two of us. (That was nice.) "I found a sweatshirt," she said. Clutching my bags, I said, noncommitally, "Oh?" and she said, "Yes. I'll show you..." and she headed into the store. I followed. She headed to the back corner of the store where I'd selected her sweatshirt from. Looked good. She headed directly to the corner where the rounder I'd got her shirt from was, and I was thinking, "Hah! I nailed this one!"....and then walked right past it to another shirt hanging on the wall. "This one," she said. "That's nice," I said, flipping through the sweatshirts on the rounder, and holding up the one I'd purchased just minutes before. "This is cute..." and she said, "Kind of sparkly, don't you think?" I blinked at her. She'd just bought a sparkly tank to wear under a argyle sweater. Shopping for her is confusing. I simply sorted through the bags in my hand, and handed over the Aeropostale bag. "Exchange it," I said, and went out front to drink the coffee. It was almost time for me to go to work, so we headed out of the mall. On the way home, I gave her my debit card, and told her to pick out the rest of her stuff and put it in the back room to be wrapped.

And so my Christmas shopping is done.

I don't know what was wrong with my thinking, but yesterday, I labored under the delusion that it was Wednesday. All day. I started the day by taking the pills in the little compartment labeled 'W'. I walked out the door and went shopping with Cara. On the way home, Cara's cell rang. I was late for work. They'd changed the schedule, they told Tim. I was supposed to be there at 1. I was confused. I checked my book. I was not supposed to be there until four, according to what I'd written down. Since it was already 2:30 and we were a long, long way from home, well, I was going to be late. I drove along wondering how I could have made such a mistake. I didn't have time to figure it out, because I was rushing from the time that I hit the front door of the store. I said, "Gees, I am so sorry. I don't know how I screwed this up. I checked it before I left the store last night, just to make sure...I thought it said four." I worked all night, and then left at 9:30, went to the Walmart. Tim was taking beef on weck for his Christmas party at work. I needed horseradish. Then I headed home, put the beef in the crockpot, and visited a little with Cara and went to bed, worrying a little about how I was going to fit everything into one day. Dylan's going to be home on Friday. I haven't even gotten the tree up yet. Tim got home from work, and he climbed into bed saying, "Um. I don't need that beef until Thursday," and blearily I said, "Well, today is...oh...gees...today is only Tuesday." Dear heavens this is a crazy time of the year.

Back to the Christmas cards. Today is Wednesday, and I've still got a tree to decorate, presents to wrap, and...man.

7 comments:

Mikey said...

Boy oh boy. You need to start shopping in August like I did. I'm doing the little stuff, but I've had a tree up since Dec 1st. I can't believe you don't have a tree up yet!!
I get like that though. Sometimes I can't remember if things were this Tues or last Tues. I still can't believe it's the end of 2010. How is that possible?

MuseSwings said...

Yep - today is Wednesday. I thought it was yesterday too. I'm still so far behind that I'll be hoping tomorrow is Wednesday. Stopped by to wish you and yours a wonderful Christmas! Love you! Cynthia

Jayne said...

You were running on Oz time, Debby ;)
It's Thursday here and, let me assure you, it's just as silly as Wednesday turned out to be!

Bill of Wasilla said...

I suppose I should follow your example and got get some shopping done. It would really make us pretty equal as, in our minds, we would both have done our shopping on Wednesday.

BUSH BABE said...

Oh me three... especially now that we are flooded in, I am having trouble working out which way is UP!
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

Remarkably, I can sort of pick out clothes for both of my girls. Sort of.

Wednesday is almost over now. Tomorrow is Thursday. Just making sure you know.
:)

Actually, I've had trouble keeping things straight myself the past couple of weeks.

quid said...

Slow down. Think of yourself. Then you'll remember what day it is. Chuckling at you...

quid