Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Two more days until Christmas.

I got my Christmas cards practically done. The far away ones won't get there in time, but, hey, the Christmas cards are just about done. Cara and I whipped the tree up today. I got home and discovered that she'd set up the nativity and the Christmas village as well. That was nice.

When I went to work today, I saw a couple regular customers. They usually have a big white dog, a very vocal dog, almost like he's trying to talk. They love that dog. He goes everywhere with them. Anyways, they were in the store today, and, oddly, their dog was not with them. I was in the process of reaching for a dog cookie, when I realized the dog was not there. I must have looked confused. The man said, "He died yesterday morning. His heart just stopped." And the woman stood by him with a quiet face, and the tears welled in her eyes. Yeah. You know what happened next. I'm offering my condolences with tears of my own. They left with their purchases. A coworker came over with a puzzled look. "Where's their dog?" I explained that he'd died. Dave said, "You're kidding..." because the dog had just been in the day before yesterday. I heard him head back to find Gary. "What?" Gary said. "That big white one?" and Dave said, "Yes." Gary said, "Well that's a damn shame," and Dave said, "They never went anywhere without that dog."

That's the kind of place I work at. A place where news like that makes us all feel sorry.

11 comments:

Paula said...

I'm so sorry those people lost their dog and what a nice place you work for.

Bob said...

Sounds like there's a lot of love there.

Jayne said...

What a lovely place to work.

Bill of Wasilla said...

And now there are people who are sorry about this white dog all over the world.

Me too.

quid said...

That says it all about the place you work, m'dear.

quid

Anonymous said...

My son's dog died right before Thanksgiving, we'd had him for 16 years. So now I have tears, too, for this couple. We've all that that pain, just can't let it override the joy they brought to our lives. RIP Bandit, the Best Little Ditch Dog in the World.
KarenTX

Lydia said...

It is so hard to lose a dog - or any loved pet. What a wonderful place for you to work, Debby, that the loss of a beloved pet means something to everyone there. Oh, that more people had that kind of heart!

Glad your tree is up and your shopping is done!

Mikey said...

Awww, now that's the kind of place I like to go. Where people notice things like that. You're a good person, Miss Debby. And I'm glad you got your tree up, lol!

Bob Barbanes said...

What's that thing Hal always says? "Damn sinuses." Yeah, that's it.

I was re-reading some of your old posts, back when you worked at that awful gas station. What an improvement you've made in your working conditions! It must be a very nice place to work.

Merry Christmas, Debby :)

Debby said...

Oh, yes, it's a big improvement, and I feel fortunate each time that I walk in those doors. Seriously. You cannot take a pleasant workplace for granted in this world. The gas station was horrible. This? Whole different world. It is kind and good. The people there are kind and good. I am kinder and gooder for being there.

Merry Christmas to you and your sinuses, Bob.

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope that it is the best one ever!

Kelly said...

You've made me sad, Debby!
: (

Merry Christmas.