Sunday, December 5, 2010

Today, I was able to go to church for the second week in a row. I've given up my Sunday School teaching spot, because it is just too frustrating to have to find a sub if I'm working. I gave up worship leader for the same reason, and it's been bugging me. Those things are part of my own identity. I've been a Sunday School teacher for most of the time that I've attended church, and it feels strange not to be one. In any case, I was able to teach class today, and I do enjoy the kids. I've known most of them since they were wee and now some of them are in high school. There's one boy whose voice has changed. Each time that he speaks, it startles me a little. But the class was lively, and fun, and short too, since we are practicing for the Christmas pagent as well. As the kids left, I lingered a little, to water our plant. As one of the boys headed out the door, he called out, " 'Bye. Love you!" and then stopped. Surprised. He hadn't meant to say that. I looked at him. I've known him since he was a pippersqueak, and now he's as tall, or maybe even taller than me. A little flustered, he said, "Well. We're all family. It's okay, I guess." I looked at him, with my watering can in hand, and I said, "I love you too." He flashed me a smile, and then was on his way.

I will miss those little interactions.

7 comments:

R Phillips said...

I love it when an unexpected "I love you" slips out. Priceless! :)

Lydia said...

awww. Now that is what makes life worth while. I am so glad that he could "slip" and show you his true feelings. :} You make a difference!

BUSH BABE said...

Did he actually try and catch those words to pop them back in? Funny... and unbelievably sweet. I know what you mean - glad you got a little dose of your church interactions to keep you going!
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

Did he actually try and catch those words to pop them back in? Funny... and unbelievably sweet. I know what you mean - glad you got a little dose of your church interactions to keep you going!
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

Your blog keeps eating my comments!

I wondered if your young Sunday School man tried to grab those words in that speech bubble, and pop them back into his mouth? Funny and sweet.
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

And now the bleeping thing spits them all out at once at me... I'm going to bed. *harrumph!*

Debby said...

LOL BB! This particular young man and I have had a long history, going back to when he was a young boy with behavior problems. He's grown into a wonderful young man. When something bothers him, he doesn't hesitate to come talk to me about it. Last week, he spoke wistfully of how he missed our old pastor. We had a talk about the fact that things change, and that we must be prepared to change with them. We talked about his role within the church, about the fact that one day, I will not be there, or his parents, or his grandmother, and it will be his time to step forward, that our church has weathered many changes in its 150 years. It is the way of it.

Of course, later, we were also singing a duet, "...you wear designer shades just to hide your face and you wear them around like you are cooler than me. You never say hey or remember my name, it's probably because you think you're cooler than me..."

It made him laugh to find out that I knew the lyrics.