Monday, December 6, 2010

Snow. Snow. And more snow.

We've gotten about 12 inches of snow in the last 24 hours. That was added on to the 8 inches of snow that we had laying on the ground since Saturday. It shows no sign of letting up. The schools were all closed in our county, but they did not close the college. I weighed the situation carefully, and decided that since my road was plowed, I would make the trip. It got worse as I went, and by the time that I got to the town where the college is, the roads were truly awful. Worst of all? The college parking lot needed to be plowed so badly that people were getting stuck. They should have closed the campus. After class, I drove back home, in white out conditions for probably half the trip. By the time I hit my neck of the woods, it was about an hour before I was supposed to go to work, so I did not bother to even go home. I got a hair cut, and I went to work. It's still snowing. By the time that I came out of work, I had another six inches of snow to brush off my car. I drove up our hill with my heart in my throat. It was snowing like crazy, and visibility was virtually nil, but you didn't dare stop lest you never get started again.

They are calling for another 4-10 inches in the next 24 hours. Watching it come down, I'd have to say that's a conservative estimate.

They closed the campus tonight. If it doesn't stop, I can't imagine that they'd have school tomorrow.

Yeah. Tomorrow, I'll take pictures.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just cannot begin to imagine living in that amount of snow - let alone go out in it. Does the place close down with those sorts of falls? Here in Australia people are immobilised with floods at the moment - but they go away relatively quickly. We are not inconvenienced at all - just enjoying the mild, occasionally damp weather and green grass. Makes a change from previous years of blistering drought! What contrasts!
Hope you all come through OK - some pretty serious reports from Europe. We have some friends who are heading there for a few weeks so don't know what they will face.
Hope your Christmas will not be too white - just right. Love Barb

Pencil Writer said...

Wow! I've been in white-out conditions and it ain't no party, for sure! Do be careful. I'm like you--surprised that with the snow conditions like they were that your campus didn't shut down. I have a brother who has to keep a community college (I don't know how many campuses are involved) clean of snow during the winter. He's told me various times that he has to get up around 3 or 4 am to take care of it when it's so seriously cold, etc.

I know that when it's snowing at the rate you've mentioned and for as long as it's been going on it shuts most everything down. I guess you travel with a survival pack with you, right? I'd sure hate to deal with that kind of cold/snow/ice! I'm struggling with lows in the mid 20's right now. Of course, we did have 80 degrees for Thanksgiving, so the contrast is severe!

I'll keep you in my prayers. Crank up the fire place, get out the quilts and drink something warm and nurishing! (Like you need to be told!;}

Jayne said...

Crikey, Debby, please take care.
They sound like scary conditions to be travelling in :(

Karen said...

I like Pencil Writer's advice: keeping a survival pack. Back in 1996, my family and I (our kids were 7 years and an infant, 6 months at the time) were traveling home from CT and became stranded along a major highway for 20 hours during one of the worst blizzards recorded in the northeast. It occurred the day after Easter, so we ate Easter candy and drank soda pop - that's all we had in our van. Good thing I was still nursing our youngest, but to this day, driving in a blizzard scares me!

BUSH BABE said...

Am I allowed to ask what is in a survival pack? Mine would include some Baileys and mittens.

I do hope you get some photos and stay put. I cannot IMAGINE driving in that...
;-)
BB

Lydia said...

BB you are hilarious! Debby, enjoy the day at home today, surely everything will be shut down until they can get the snow moved. That is TOO much!

A Novel Woman said...

We are in the midst of the same snowstorm!! I managed to get my daughter to the train this morning and came back to huddle with the dog and cats. Crazy! My husband has business in Arizona this week, lucky duck. He chose wisely. I get to stay home and shovel.

On the plus side, it does make me feel Christmassy. On the down side, I can't get out to get all my baking supplies. Gah.

WhiteStone said...

When you get as old as I, you'll be wise enough to stay home on a day such as tomorrow! *wink*

Mikey said...

Goodness! That's a ton of snow. Take some pics for us!! Be careful out there too.
BTW its 75 here today and sunny. Just wanted to throw that out there :)

Kelly said...

I would have been a nervous wreck, Debby! I'm glad you got home safe and sound and that you'll now stay put!!

We got down to 20 last night and I thought that was bad enough!

Stay safe and warm!