Friday, December 17, 2010

Santa at Tractor Supply

Yesterday, it was about the cutest darn thing you ever saw in your life. A little boy, maybe three, three and a half was in deep conversation with his grandma, clutching a tractor that he wanted. Grandma said, "Well, you need to talk to Santa, and tell him what you want..." Our little pippersqueak stood there clutching a box, with an unconvinced look on his face, trying to decide if he should press the issue, or whether Santa was actually watching him. So I leaned across the counter and rested my chin on my hand. "You know," I said in a very confidential tone, "Santa does come in to Tractor Supply. I was pretty surprised, but there he was, Santa Claus himself, right here. He comes in when there are no children in the store." And the boy looked at me, eyes wide with the wonder of such a thing. He said, very seriously, "Well, when you see him, tell him that Cole wants this tractor..." I said, "I surely will. I will tell Santa."

Oh, my gosh. It was so stinking cute it made me grin all day long, every single time I thought of it.

6 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

I miss those days when my kids were little and still held the magic of Christmas close to their hearts. I remember Santa once caught his jacket on our fireplace grate, and they found a scrap of red fabric under their stockings. They were beside themselves with excitement. And one year Rudolph dropped one of the bells from his harness.

Anonymous said...

Where do I find your column, I think I would enjoy reading it.

Donna said...

I love these little glimpses into your work day.

Deb C. said...

What paper do you write for? I would love to read your columns. Enjoy your blog!

Jayne said...

I just love watching kids' faces light up at the magic :)

Anonymous said...

Oh how gorgeous!! I never pushed or hindered the Santa cause but 'Salina "loved Santa" when she was little (her very breathless words).

Now she is bigger, she believes for the little ones (and the chance he might still honour some of her list).

Jeanie (on a very slow Saturday at work - more farmers in town, no doubt, than interior decorators!!)