Friday, December 17, 2010

Little Kids

Today, a mother and daughter came in and bought a 'creeper'. The daughter said, "So how are we going to sneak that in the house?" and the mother admitted that she did not have a clue. The daughter dashed around and came back with a king size KitKat bar. She opened her little purse and paid for it. She said to her mother, "I tell him I have a surprise for him in my room, and then I'll give him the KitKat, while you sneak his present in." The mother smiled at her daughter. "You think that will work?" she asked. "Yep. Dad's EASY. He loves KitKats," and off they went plotting away.

One of our farmers came in with his little boy, and when I saw them next, they were at the register and the father was saying, "Now, you remember, this is our secret." And the little boy opened the blue velvet jewelry case to make sure the earrings were still inside before reaching up to set them on the counter. Gary was at the other register helping out, and the little boy watched him closely as he rang up the the jewelry. Gary asked who he was buying the jewelry for, and he said, "Mommy!" and he was excited. I looked over. "Gees, Gary, I think that might be just about the luckiest mom in the world," and the little boy nodded in agreement.

I remember when the kids were small and the excitement of all of those secrets. I also remember the Christmas eve that Dylan leaned close to me and said excitedly, "I can't wait for you to open your microwave." I really miss having kids around. A lot.

6 comments:

Jayne said...

Awwwwwwww.

Lydia said...

Oh that is funny. Kids really are wonderful. I guess it would be good to keep a little mystery in life.

It just goes to show you, when you give, you get back so much more. And giving to a child is the best of all.

Mary Paddock said...

Awwww! "I can't wait for you to open your microwave" LOLOL!

Kelly said...

What is a 'creeper'? All I could think of was those little one piece jammie things my kids wore as babies. Obviously not that from the context!

Paula said...

I bought my husband a creeper one time but it wasn't a surprise. He loved it. Kids are sooo cute. I like what your's said about the microwave.

BUSH BABE said...

I too an unsure about the creeper... a plant?? My kids are being so incredibly cute - although I could cheerfully deck the kid who planted the idea that Santa is a myth into their curious little heads last week... trying not to lie TOO much here!
:-)
BB