Thursday, December 23, 2010

Last Minute Preparations

The store manager called and said, "So what are you doing?" and I said, "Why? The store busy?" and he said, "Get down here..." and I said, "Well, you'll have to give me an hour." He said, "Why?" and I said, "Because I'm in my pajamas, okay?" and laughed. He said, "What are you doing still in your pajamas?" (it was 1 PM) and I said, in a very defensive way, "Hey, I'm wrapping presents, okay?"


I got myself showered and dressed, out the door, and into work. It was busy alright. We had our busiest day since Black Friday.

I was at the register, when Ike paged me. I had a phone call on line three. It was Cara. "Where's your debit card?" she wanted to know. She was picking up Tim's Christmas gift for me because I had to leave for work early. "I've got it," I said. "I left you cash on the coffee table." A customer said, in a hopeful way, "So did you leave me cash on the coffee table?" and the line laughed. Business was non-stop, one customer after another, after another. We all were in high spirits, playing pranks on one another.

My sister and brother-in-law stopped by the store with a huge batch of homebaked cookies and bread and a pumpkin roll. That was an extremely welcome gift. I was trying to figure out how to fit in the baking, and suddenly discovering that I did not have to...well...that was a relief.

I cannot believe that tomorrow is Christmas eve already. Dylan will be here by the time that I get home from work. I have an entire weekend off, and I am looking forward to it.

Well, let me get myself (and my cold) off to bed. Only one more day until Christmas.

5 comments:

Jayne said...

You have a good rest and enjoy your loved ones, Debby :)

steviewren said...

The cashier at the grocery store had on a cute pink Santa hat this week. I complimented her and asked where she got it. Bet you'll never guess where she said....the Tractor Supply store! There is one in a little town not far from where my daughter lives. Guess I'll have to drive over there and check it out.

Merry Christmas Debby!

Mary Paddock said...

I hope you feel better in time to enjoy Christmas, Deb. Speaking of which, Merry Christmas!

Roland said...

Merry Christmas!

Bob said...

I'm right there with you with the sore throat, dang-it! Susan and I have passed it back and forth to each other for a couple months now but she says I started it so guess it's my fault.
I don't remember your mentioning your sister before? I probably just forgot. What a great gal to bring you those goodies.

Merry Christmas to you and the family.